It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Physical Therapy(?) After ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User
    Physical Therapy(?) After ACDF

I hope the moderator doesn't consider this a poll...what are people doing for PT? My NS said it wasn't necessary, warm showers and heating pads would be enough, but I see any number of people mentioning PT. What kind of exercises are you doing? Are you going to a PT? I'm 6 wks post-op, so I don't think there's much I can do anyway, but I would like to have a goal. Thanks, Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: Physical Therapy(?) After ACDF

I am supposed to start pt sometime soon, prolly within the next 3 weeks,so this is an intrest to me to, I hope alot of people respond,Diana

Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
    IzzyFuzzy

IzzyFuzzy HB User

I would never, EVER, abandon PT after surgery. I will speak about this at length w/my neuro prior to surgery...

I have tried pills, chiro, acupuncture, exercise, heebie jeebie, etc., but after I found a competent (actually, very skilled) physical therapist, everything (except the bulging discs and consequential pain) got better.

I admit, it is not a permanent fix for someone like us, but my life would have been intolerable w/o the myofascial release and traction supplied by my PT.

All PT's are not created equal (what professions are?), but a good one is indispensable.

My advise is to search for one who is recently educated, NEVER relies on electrical stimulation, and innately understands innervation of musculature. An understanding of the limitations of muscles compromised by nerve impingement is essential.

My best wishes to you, and I hope you can find a PT post-surgery who is both approved by your NS and is sympathetic and competent.

Izzy

Old 11-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
    CTmom
    (female)

CTmom HB User

I went to about four weeks of PT after my ACDF. I was having a lot of postsurgical arm pain and extreme weakness. They did moist heat and ultrasound, which really didn't do much, in my estimation. What did help was to have someone show me how to safely exercise my arms. In the beginning, I literally could not hold my arms up long enough to brush my teeth or comb my hair. I knew I needed to exercise but didn't know what exercises were best or safe. By the end of the month, I had regained full strength (although the pain still flared on occasion).

By the way, I tried PT before my surgery as well, but the pain was so intense, I just couldn't do it. The only way I could find relief was lying flat in bed with one arm over my head - not a position too conducive to PT.

CTMom

Old 11-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #5
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:50 PM.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

I know for me (before I had surgery) the tens unit would flare up all my muscle spasms in my shoulder blade area. I start PT tomorrow I will let you guys know what they do 2 me. If you have read my previous post I still have pain and in my shoulder since the surgery but the therapist said that alot of the neck exercises for stabilzation will work for the shoulder area.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
    IzzyFuzzy

IzzyFuzzy HB User

Kelly:
    I probably shouldn't have made a blanket statement against e-stim, but in my experience (I think I have received treatment from nine different PT's over the years) those who rely on e-stim as an important part of your treatment seem to possess less ability or knowledge to focus on the root of muscle dysfunction.

What I am trying to say is that I have been helped far more by hands-on myofascial release, stretching and exercise than I have been by being hooked up to an e-stim machine.

The best PT's I have known have been able to feel the problem through their fingers. The ones that I chose not to continue with seemed to want to spend less time and effort with me and use e-stim as a substitute.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
    Duckdog

Duckdog HB User

I was 6 months out when I started PT. My original N.S. moved and his replacement uses it, even though the first N.S. did not. I think it helps, but I would wait until you are relatively sure that things are settling down in your neck first.

I got sore for the first 2-3 wks, but it got better. I'm not saying that at 9 months I'm 100%, but I sure made strides after having some PT.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

I had my 1st session yesterday with the PT and the only thing we worked on was moving my head towards my shoulder which stretches the neck muscles. Moving my head from side to side and hold 30 seconds each. She also had me use 5# weights like I was doing dumbell bench presses but I was lying flat on the floor and raise my shoulders off the ground. Last night I had some muscle spasms on my left trap muscles but not enough to take meds. Put a heating pad on for 20min and that took care of it. Im not suggesting doing what Im doing check with your doctor. The main reason they sent me to PT was my shoulder and not my neck.

Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
    Duckdog

Duckdog HB User

Sounds like you are probably doing the same exercises as I did and still do. I can not, however, tip my head towards my shoulder, or I hear some really bad noises and I get really sore and tight from it. In fact, I usually feel the "pop" down into my arm, so there must be some scarring that is causing some problems there. We just came to the conlusion that I have lost that motion and thats that. I really put a clamp on my bow hunting, but I can still shoot a gun.... go figure.

I started out with #2 lbers and worked up from there. If I wasn't able to carefullly chase ducks around this fall, I would have went stir crazy! I also found it helpful to alternate using the theracord stuff and the dumbells to allow the different muscles to rest while doing my home exercises.

Closed Thread