It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• stress and acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User
    stress and acdf

I just wanted know how many of you feel you would be considered type A personality. I mean are you competitive, do you worry about things, cant sleep when you get something on your mind. Are you the type of person thats hard for you to relax. Im just curious, because I know since my surgery the more tense I get the more I get these little pains. I think the thing the contributes the most is stress. Just my opinion, things like coffee and tobacco just increase the stress in your body where your body is always tight. Anybody feel the same?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User
    Re: stress and acdf

I TOTALLY agree with you! I had surgery in March and have been doing fairly well. This last week was very stressful, my arm started hurting again along with my neck and shoulders.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

I totally agree! In September I worked for two days in a stressful situation and it caused me to have an awful month-long migraine-type headache. It's hard to deal with. I used thrive in stressful work situations ... not anymore! I don't do stress well. :-)

Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Type A+ here. I used to thrive on stress. My job is nothing but stress and pressure and I loved it. Post-op though...I don't know. I hurt at the end of every workday now. I'm going to blow out my liver eating ibuprofen. And the operation left me feeling mortal in ways I haven't been able to reconcile. I don't understand.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
    kelly14

kelly14 HB User

I agree.. physical therapist keeps telling me to relax. Pain in my shoulder blade and neck is getting increasingly worse. My surgery was in June and I am getting very discouraged. Therapist asked me this week if I had ever considered acupuncture. I don't know of anyone who has tried this as a pain reliever but the idea is tempting since I have been unable to get any relief. The NS has just prescribed flexeril 10mg to help me sleep but I still wake during the night. I have tried heat therapy and ice and still no improvement. I am blessed with 2 wonderful children 14 and 17, but as every parent would agree, you always worry about their well being. Every day life seems to be full of worry and I just have to learn how to shut out the stress.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:47 PM.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
    kelly14

kelly14 HB User

kellyv,
    Thank you for your kind words . Although I am sorry to hear of your discomfort it is at the same time encouraging to know that I'm not alone during this recovery period. It seems that the NS really doesn't seem too concerned about my pain and I think that I have a pretty high tolerance and so it makes me feel that I'm wimping out for even complaining that I don't feel 100 % yet. It is strange that the doctor does not advise what can occur during the healing process yet reading these posts from ACDF patients all the symtoms are similar. I wonder why the NS seems so surprised and tells me that he has removed all the bone spurs and there is no impingement on the spinal cord and therefore there should not be any pain. I have not had any pain medication except tylenol with codeine since he felt that the medication slows the healing process. I wish you a speedy recovery and just hang in there! Kelly

Old 11-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
    more
    (female)

more HB User

I am a strong believer that stress causes the additional pain. I had ACDF in March 2002 - was out of pain for a while and in July 2002 I moved to a new location and new job. The new job was very stressful. I started to get the neck, arm and shoulder pains again two weeks after starting the job. I did physical therapy for two years before moving again to another new job.

My current job is much less stressful and I can say the pain has not totally gone but it is much less. The only time I really feel the pain is if I do a lot of computer work. This past week I have been under a lot of stress on the job due to computer issues and a lot of tension in the area. I have not gone home one night this week not in pain. The only thing that relaxes me is to take a motrin and go to bed early - I have been in bed by 9:00 every night this week, if not earlier.

SO YES STRESS DOES AFFECT THE NECK AND ARM PAIN.

Kelly14 - with regard to accupuncture - I tried the accupuncture when I was first diagnosed with the herniated disc (originally told it was not severe enough to do anything about it by one surgeon). That was about one year before my surgery - it worked tremendously - totally did away with the pain. After about a year the pain came back and I again tried the accupuncture and it did not work - brought on temporary relief but no longterm relief. I was told it was because now the discs were herniated enough to be pressing on the nerves. I would recommend the accupuncture to anyone - as long as it is being done by a respectable doctor. Mine was done by an orthopedic doctor who studied it and was familiar with my symptoms

Closed Thread