It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Question about Chiari Malformation/spine surgery related

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Question Question about Chiari Malformation/spine surgery related

Is there anyone on this board who has developed Chiari Malformation because of posterior cervical fusion? Can posterior surgery be the sole cause of this Malformation or does one always have this from birth?

I do not have this but have heard of one who may have. I have done tons of research on this including asking my NS. I am curious as to this is true or not. I have just had a posterior cervical fusion of C3-7 and prior to that had two anterior fusion's.

My thought is tan automobile accident (whiplash) could be why one would now have symptoms activated but already had this condition from birth. I also know the hypertension of the neck can cause symptoms to become active. My neck was not hyperextended {SP?} for this surgery so I am also not sure if this other persons was?

Has anyone heard of this happening? I have already looked at tons of web sites and found nothing to say surgery is a direct cause of this? If anyone has a site that says it does could you please post it.

Shirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread