It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• post acdf new pain & sweating symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
    tintx

tintx HB User
    Question post acdf new pain & sweating symptoms?

Hi,
    Today is 16 days post op for c4-5 fusion with plate and hip graft. I'm doing well, have had a great decrease in post-op pain (primarily hip), and fewer, milder spasms.

I have had some new mild pain sort of across my clavicles, and on top of my shoulders, kind of like across the ridge of them from bottom of neck to beginning of upper arms. I was starting to have some of the shoulder "ridge" pain before the surgery. I've also got mild fleeting pains in arms. Other pain I've noticed starts at bottom of neck to top of back, just left of my backbone.

Another problem I have had, and was having about 6-8 weeks prior to surgery, is sweats. Seems like I get overheated suddenly, without any sensation/warning of becoming too warm, and break into a sweat, primarily in face and upper chest. It lasts about 2 minutes, and has been disturbing my sleep a lot, as well as happening throughout the day. I'm constantly putting sweaters on and off, and I've had to turn the thermostat down to 65 at night, and keep only the lightest blanket on the bed.

I'm postmenopausal, and these hot flashes seem different, like a burning, but not painful sensation. I don't look flushed, either, when it happens, just sweaty! I've been more sensitive to heat since menopause, but thought I was all through with hot flashes!

Anyone have some experience similar to mine with the post op pain and sweats, temperature sensitivity? Your feedback is so appreciated!
    Tintx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
    thecraw
    (male)

thecraw HB User
    Re: post acdf new pain & sweating symptoms?

Tintx,

On the pain. I am 35days post op. I have come to the conclusion that for me the 'immediate' relief they talk about post op is that jarring, almost electric shock type feeling you get in your arm from the nerve being pinched. I do not have this after the op.

However, My shoulders, upper back, upper arm all are sore, at times have spasms and are all knotted up.

I realised that its important when thinking about how well you are going, to look back at the week and not yesterday. I have found that if I graphed my improvement day by day over the 5 weeks it would make me sea sick...! but the trend is an improving one.

If you are wearing a collar then I think this in itself introduces pain in your shoulder and upper back as you adjust to wearing it.

2 weeks is still very early. I did notice though I didnt have much pain actually in my neck it was all as described above. If you had any increasing pain in your neck, around incision or increasing pain in your arm i would probably contact your doc.

On the sweating side I really dont know and didnt experience it (other then on our recent heatwave days with my collar!). If you are running a temperature then I would definetly get checked out. You want to make sure your incision does not get infected.

All the Best and Rest up, Paul

Old 12-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

It sounds like your sympathetic nervous system is affected or it could be some sort of damage to the thalamic tract inside the spinal cord.I have both of these due to damage caused by a surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord.it really does sound more like SNS damage to me.i also have some really WET sweats,mostly at night.it does not matter if the room is hot or cold,i sweat like a flippin pig.My best advice to you would be to do some research on sympathetic nervous system damage and see if you have any other coresponding symptoms.The SNS actually runs along and outside the length of the vertebrae so when doing the decompression procedure it would be quite possible to cause it damage.let me know just what you find out,K?Marcia

Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi Tintx, I had the sweating pretty bad , off and on for about 12 weeks, my surgery was Aug 13th, I still sometimes wake up like that,in the beginning it was the worse, to the point where I would have to change, alot of it I thought had to do with the meds, and sweating out the stuff they give ya during surgery,Craw is right about the collar, it in itself causes alot of discomfort in the shoulders,try your best ,when sitting to relax them, just breath deep and let them drop,it will help a great deal.Dianap.s Thanx Marcie , I am gonna check into the symathetic damage, its the first I heard of it.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
    tintx

tintx HB User
    Unhappy Re: post acdf new pain & sweating symptoms?

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I was having the sweating prior to surgery when I wasn't taking any meds, so I don't think meds are the issue.

Marcie, I have been researching ans/symptoms, but I don't match any full blown disorders (most info is about those.) It seems likely the bone spur had been pinching my cord for some years (in light of symptom onset, and size of the spur), and I suspect there may have been pressure damage to some ans areas. I'll mention this to my ns and see what he says. He did tell my mom after surgery that my cord/nerves were continuously twitching before he removed the large, bridging bone spur. Hmmm...I'll let yall know what he says.

I just hope any damage resolves. Tonight, I'm having the old mid back pain , not too bad.

Diana, you are right about the shoulders! I have to consciously keep my shoulders down, but it's getting better. I've had the tendency to "cover my ears" for years, if ya know what I mean. I've really been working on relaxing them, it's a whole new sensation.

Later, all, and thanks again!
    Tintx

Old 12-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

Massive sweating,

Could be another indicator of another problem, from hyopothyriod to diabites, i highly recomend you get a lab work up if symptoms do not subside.

I went through that for several years and it caused a host of other troubles to, but after totaly changing my diet to low carbs protiens, i noticed a major difference in how i was feeling and the embarising sweat baths almost totaly went away!

Also you are still very soon in your recovery, and everything can seem out of whack for a while. Take good care of yourself and take things slowly
    lots of luck in feeling lots better!!!!!!

Closed Thread