It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• sleep after c6-7 fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
    Dflake
    (female)

Dflake HB User
    sleep after c6-7 fusion

Does any one have any ideas on how to sleep following anterior cervical fusion. I had one level done and the ns didn't put me in a brace of any kind.So when I try to sleep my neck is very uncomfortable and pulls.
    I still have alot of swelling in the neck where surgery was done on dec 10th of 04.
    Does anyone have headaches after this surgery?? My husband seems to think I should already be feeling better He hasn't ever had surgery done before.Just gets me upset sometimes. And I guess I just need to vent to someone who has been through this. Maybe someone has some ideas for me.......... thanks
    Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Re: sleep after c6-7 fusion

5 days is a very short period of time when talking the type surgery you had. Your incision is probably not fully closed up yet - while it may look it on the outside the inside may not be fully sealed. As far as sleeping, be sure to get a pillow that supports your head/neck, keeping it straight and this should do away with the pulling. The best I have found is one of the foam pillows (and I have tried many - could open a used pillow store).

Remember, during this surgery a lot of manipulation is done on the inside during the surgery which will affect how you feel now.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery - and remember it takes time.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
    Sam43
    (male)

Sam43 HB User

You may have already tried it, but I would suggest an orthopedic pillow such as the kind you can find at most drugstores. Since I was diagnosed with a herniated disc, I have found the extra support to help. (Haven't yet had surgery).
    As more says, you may have to try several. I found one to be very comfortable, but I forgot to take it on a trip and bought another, different brand, and it was quite uncomfortable. Probably depends on your anatomy as far as how it fits.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
    rcihal
    (female)

rcihal HB User

After my c6/7 discectomy/fusion I was put into a foam neck brace which help quite a bit. Ask your doc about that.

Another suggestion...I slept in a recliner, on my back, sometimes on my side and with an ice bag. The ice bag was not on my neck just as a cuddle tool. It helped to keep me cool and did keep my mind off the pain.

I was in this recliner for 8 weeks. Be patient and tell your husband to be patient too! It's a long haul. DO NOT RUSH IT!!

This procedure...in my opinion...is much more than the docs let on. I know that was the case in my situation.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
    Ramsfan
    (male)

Ramsfan HB User

Your husband needs to go through a cervical fusion to understand what you are going through. I slept in a recliner for over 1 month before I go sleep in bed. I am fused from C2 through C7. My last surgery was Dec. 19 of last year. I still have problems getting comfortable in bed. My biggest problem is I'm a stomach sleeper and my neck doesn't like it. When I lay on my back I get headaches in the back of my head. I've tried all kinds of pillows without success. The best I could come up with is to put polly fill (cotton) around my pillow inside a zippered case. It helps and saves money on buying pillow after pillow.

Frank

Old 12-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
    thecraw
    (male)

thecraw HB User

Because my fusion was done without hardware (single level) I have a hard collar still on 6 weeks after. I found the collar actually supports my head well and once I got used to it I sleep well. Maybe you could ask for a soft collar to support yourslef whilst sleeping?

You are still in the early days and sleeping is not easy. Although the initial sysmptoms may decline the surgey puts alot of strain on your neck and shoulders.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi, I agree with "RCIHAL",I stayed in my recliner too, for 10 plus weeks,the neck brace made it almost impossible to get comfy,just try to be patient,it takes awhile, but oh what a treat it is, when ya can sleep in bed and sleep well! I tried the special pillows,made with that space age stuff , that conforms to your neck and head, but I thought it was way to stiff,it got throw in the closet, with the rest of my should of's,but dont. other then that, its mainly a time thing,Take care, Diana

Closed Thread