It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 8mm nerve root sheath cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
    cleve60
    (female)

cleve60 HB User
    8mm nerve root sheath cyst

hello everyone. I am new to all this so please be patient with me. I have been diagnoised with an 8 mm nerve root sheath cyst in my L5/S1 region. Pain can be really bad at times. Hard to stand in one place for long and am able to walk but not for long either. Stairs are a killer for me. I just moved from Minnesota to Cleveland so just made an appointment for this tuesday with a General MD to get prescriptions updated but need to make an appt with a neurosurgeon yet. Im pretty scared since I was told that if I have surgery I it would be a 75 % chance of being in a wheel chair due to nerves being scaraficed. I was told that by my family MD in Minnesota. So of course I am pretty scared now. I also have a herniated disc in my neck at the C4/C5 area. Lots of sleepless nights with that . Has anyone had the nerve root sheath cyst like I have and if so please fill me in . Surgery, pain, anything. Like I said I am new to this. Need someone to talk to about this since I have no idea what to do or what to expect. I also have degenerative disc desease so pain from that doesnt really make things any better. What to do ....

Last edited by cleve60; 12-18-2004 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Re: 8mm nerve root sheath cyst

Did they call your cyst a Tarlov Cyst (perinueral cyst) by any chance? I have a Tarlov Cyst at S2. I am going to Hopkins on Tuesday to have it removed by Dr. Donlin Long. He is a nuerosurgeon. I have not been given any statistics about being in a wheel chair, but I do know that Dr. Long and Dr. Henderson at Georgetown in DC are having great success with removal of the Tarlov Cyst. I would contact one of them and send them your films. I believe both will do phone consultations if necessary. I would make certain that the NS is competent in removing this type of cyst. You might want to check out the Tarlov Support Group for more info.

Closed Thread