It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• is anybody back to full strength since acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User
    is anybody back to full strength since acdf

Im coming up on 4 months since my c5c6 acdf. I started working out again with light weights. Im working the lower body one day and the upper body the next. Before each workout I do 15min on the stairclimber and 15min on incline treadmill. I also walk my dogs for 30 minutes. I finally feel like im coming back. My shoulder has continued to get better. I still have atrophy at my teres minor which has probably acounted for my shoulder weakness. As my shoulder gets better my strength will soar. I use to bodybuild before surgery and I cant wait until I feel 100% again. My doc said at 6 months I should be able to do anything I did before just take my time getting there. I think if I would say Im around 70% right now. Do we have any athletes out there that are back to doing there physical activies as before surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
    DJBAKC
    (male)

DJBAKC HB User
    Thumbs up Re: is anybody back to full strength since acdf

Hi Aspen!

I'm almost 2 months out of C5-C6 ACDF with a BAK/C cage. Most pain gone now, just working through residual stiffness. Neuro cleared me to work towards normal activity ramping over eight weeks...so at four months, I hope to be doing as well as you! Also mixing cardio, light weights, situps, and pushups, but need to increase frequency as well as ramp the effort (still trying to convince teenage boys I can't shovel snow!). Am focused on regaining fitness and strength, so I haven't thought much about return to sports yet...at 40 I need to give up the basketball with the 18 year olds! Best of luck to you on your gains!!

DJ

Old 12-31-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
    garion64
    Inactive

garion64 HB User
    Re: is anybody back to full strength since acdf

Hiya Aspen, I had mine done on May 11th. I got the okay from the doctor to start lifting with no restrictions 8 weeks ago. I'm also a bodybuilder, but prior to that i was working out as soon as i got that collar off. I've gained 20lbs back since early August and I feel better than 100%. I'm almost back to where i was before all of this happened and if all goes well I'll be ready to compete again this fall. I wish you luck and I know its hard, but listen to the doctor.
    What weight class were you in? and how much weight did you lose from all of this? I lost 30 lbs total and got down to 202lbs.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

Hey Garioin

Thanks for the reply, thats the most encouraging news Ive ever heard on this site for me personally. Since I have worked out all my life. I only weighed 175 ripped. For the last couple of years I had been staying at that weight cause of my work schedule. I am 44yrs old and I prefer to keep my abs showing year round for the last couple of years. I have a small frame so that weight looks decieving it looks like I have much more muscle. I lost probably 20lbs of muscle weight easily. I just put in on my waist. I injured my neck doing incline presses. overhead presses have always caused me neck problems but this was the first time inclines did. I wasnt using good form that day and it was alot more weight and I was exhausted stupid. That started my pain ride.Besides my disc that was herniated, I somehow injured my teres minor or the pinched nerve caused to atrophy. That is what causing my shoulder pain, when I reach to put a shirt on. I also had pain in my lats and rear delts and armpit. I had a MRI on my shoulder and no damage, its the teres minor weakness causing the pain I believe. It has gotten alot better. I almost 4 months post op and Im just doing light weights with 10lbs. I just started with the weights a couple of weeks ago. I have been doing cardio. At what month did you start lifting and how much weight? Have you started taking creatine again or any other muscle supplements yet? Hows is your neck movement?
    Its good to hear from someone that works out like you and has paved the way. What level did you have done? Its been depressing for me since I had worked out 5 days a week for last 20 years. I do one bodypart a day, right now Im just lifting 3 days a week.

Last edited by aspen2cody; 01-01-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

garion, when you did side laterals does your neck muscles tighten up. Im only doing 10 pounds but the day after my neck becomes stiff. I think i might lay off that exercise unitl down the road.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
    garion64
    Inactive

garion64 HB User

i mis typed the weight i was useing early on i was doing only 5lb dumbells for side raises and that still made me a bit stiff but i kept at it and it did go away
    it felt like a long time for it to clear up but from all the posts i have read here im ahead of the game keep at it aspen it will work out. oh ice and heat combo seemed to help me a lot early on as well

Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

garion
    the moderator removed your email or would have emailed you. the rules here object to contact from the board. I had to take a couple of days off from side laterals they made my neck very stiff. I cant wait till I get the point your in. Im taking alot of vitamins right now. Lots of minerals, with magnesium, calcium and glucosamine. Im going to start taking creatine next month. Ive also cut way back on the protein I was taking, but next month with the creatine I will start bumping back up. If my shoulder was good I would really be excited. It seems with these neck injuries its common to have shoulder problems. My NS doesnt have a clue about weight training except to say after 6 months I have no restrictions.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
    Craner

Craner HB User

I had a C4/5 fusion with my own hip bone done in 1999. At that time I was 25 and playing full contact hockey. (that's not what caused the damage). I took about a year off and was feeling great, so I started lifting weights again and playing hockey and softball recreationally. It got to the point where I thought that I was back to normal and contemplated a come-back to contact hockey again. It was then I found out that C5/6 was bulging and putting pressure on the spinal cord. NS, with a second opinion, opted to do a cervical laminectimy in 2002. Since then I am really restricted in what I can and can't do. Sometimes I feel like working out and getting back into shape and then something will happen that makes me feel delicate. I had this brainstorm that if I work out and build the muscles up in my neck that it would be more stable and I would not be as susceptible to injury, but when I ask the NS if this is O.K. he does not think it would be a good idea and gives me stretching exercises to do. This, and the fact that I still need to see him every 6 months tells me that perhaps I am worst than I think. So I don't know if I should be working out or not. I know about other people who play football and hockey after this sergury and can't help but wonder if my surgery was botched. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but after some research I discovered that there is a greater chance of having trouble at another level after a fusion is done. So best of luck getting back but be sure that you exercise safely and not doing yourself any harm.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

garion, aspen

please refer to 9 month post opp still problems we now know why im continuing to have troubles...................
    take care of yourselfs and remember to be kind to yourselfs
    soft hugals

Old 01-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

In response to Craner's response, I too have had the misfortune of starting to blow out the next level 6 -7 after 5 -6 fusion. My 6-7 was bulging before surgery but according to Surgeon not enough to justify doing it. Now I am back to the drawing board a year later after surgery as at Nov 04. I am having all the same symptoms and its like waiting for a bomb to hit till I have to go back to the table. I am 45 years young, in good shape, 120 lbs 5 '6" and have always been a treadmiller 10 miles plus minimum a week (walking since surgery).
    I wish I knew what set it off ( ie. I rested considerably, don't have to work and am proactive with cold packs and a large dose of reality from having gone through this already).

All I can say is that many people have positive results but having seen the doc's face reaffirming what I knew was the inevitable side affect of this surgery - the next level generally stresses out.

So hopefully it will be later than sooner for all you good souls who have had to walk this path. I caution you though, weights are the last thing I would do. Resistance alone is enough and I know for a guy that is hard to believe but believe me, you don't want to be sitting around waiting for the next surgery. As beautiful as I think I look, guess what; I 'd rather be 135 lbs and flabby then be where I am now...and for a vain female who loves the high of exercising , that is hard for me to say.

Good luck...note my fortune is not necessarly yours but I couldn't resist posting and warning you guys to be HAPPY you are pain free.

Last edited by nero; 01-13-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

Point well taken

Closed Thread