It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• sports and lifting post ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    sports and lifting post ACDF

I've been told by my doctor that if I have acdf then once its recovered (I'm assuming after about 6-12 months) and assuming no complications like pseudarthrosis, I'll be able to pretty much do all the sports etc. that I do now.

I've also read of football (rugby and american football) players returning to contact sport after acdf, and of the return to play recommendations by torg et al that say a stable single level acdf is no contraindication to return to contact sports, but I'm curious to hear the reality from people that have had the surgery.

The question is, is it possible to return to 'rough' sports and activities and heavy lifting 12 months after healed, fused and neurologically stable acdf?

Is there anyone out there thats for example - surfing solid reefbreaks, doing jumps on ski's or snowboards, skateboarding on ramps, playing contact sports, house renovations/building, sailing/windsurfing, water skiing, wakeboarding, motorcross riding, horse riding/jumping, sky diving etc. etc. any vigourous physical activities that are fairly punishing on the body.

I'd be curious to hear of first hand experience - thanks for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
    thecraw
    (male)

thecraw HB User
    Re: sports and lifting post ACDF

Hmm, well I can see a few in there I have full intention on getting back into. Unfortunatley I cant give any examples because I'm not there yet. I will be asking these questions on my next NS appt. He knows I want to get back into my surfing/kite surfing and hasnt given me any looks of 'You got to be kidding....' so thats a start :P

If its any benefit Keanu Reeves had 2 level ACDF (i think 2 lvl...?) prior to the Matrix and did all of that while healing.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

Mike Alstott played pro football this season for the Tampa Bay Bucs after having single level fusion. Kelly Washington of Cincinnati Bengals played after single level fusion 6 months after surgery. My co worker is playing soccer every weekend and he is diving and using his head to hit the ball. He is 2 years post surgery.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

Thanks very much for the replies - that all sounds promising - I suppose it depends a lot on luck with the surgery outcome but its good to hear that there are people that it works very well for.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

On the subject of Keanu Reeves and surgery - here's an answer he gave to an interview question:

By the way, how was your first meeting with the master of kung-fu, Yuen Wo-Ping?

I had just had a surgery. Three months before, I had three cervical vertebras replaced and a disc removed, hence this scar [he shows a big dark spot on his throat]. So I had a collar the day we first met! Later, I sent my neck X-rays to the W. brothers so as to show them the plate screwed in my neck. Wo-Ping still wanted to start training me to kick. It goes without saying that that doctors followed me closely! We ended up postponing the fight scenes till the end of the shoot. We had to wait till the plate in my neck was correctly knit in my bones.

Closed Thread