It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Disc (annulus) tears.... Please, anyone with experience on this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
    Eric Beck
    Inactive
    (male)

Eric Beck HB User
    Disc (annulus) tears.... Please, anyone with experience on this

I received my discogram and CT scan report yesterday.

The CT scan says I have mild generalized disc bulging at c3-c4 and c5-c6 with a small central protrusion at c5-c6 producing minor effacement of the thecal sac anteriorly.

The discogram reads, c5-c6 were first injected w/ 0.5 ml of dye. Injection reproduced the concurrent pain and there appeared to be a disruption of the annulus.

Then c6-c7 were injected next w/ 1.0 ml of dye. This level also reproduced the concurrent pain. Although the pain was not as intense, there was a tear in the annulus with the flow of dye through the annulus.

Finally c3-c4 were injected with 0.2 ml of dye. There was pain, but it did not appear concurrent.

I had fusion at c4-c5 last April 22nd. The surgery had fixed some of my pain but I still am living with alot. So my NS had the tests done after many other treatments did not help. My fusion was done because the disc was herniated and interfering w/ 25% of my spinal chord.
    I don't see him for over a week and thought someone here had experience w/ tears of the annulus and was surgery the fix?
    I appreciate any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
    Eric Beck
    Inactive
    (male)

Eric Beck HB User
    Re: Disc (annulus) tears.... Please, anyone with experience on this

Thankyou for the reply. I am just trying to find out if this was one of those things the doc say disqualifies you as a candidate or if the docs recommened fusion for this. In my case, it has been about a year and a half of pain that is definately controling my life.
    Please keep me updated on your pain relief. If the procedure will solve the problem as did the first surgery for my left side, I will surley do it.
    Anything to end this agony!
    Thank you again and good luck. You'll be in my prayers.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    Re: Disc (annulus) tears.... Please, anyone with experience on this

Eric,
    I haven't had surgery but have a herniated disc at c5/c6 from trauma to the head. I'm pretty sure that at my last appointment my surgeon said that on my latest scan an annular tear from the previous scan appeared to have healed. The disc had also reduced in size slightly and was causing less indentation on the thecal sac. He implied that my age(36) was a factor in this improvement.

I'm not sure if all annular tears cause fluid to leak out of the disc, but when fluid does leak out I believe it can cause aggravation to the cord and/or nerve roots. Leaking of fluid through an annular tear can also cause the disc height to reduce which can also cause pain symptoms. On the flip side I believe that sometimes the material that leaks out is reabsorbed by the body, and this is an explanation of why sometimes herniated discs reduce or dissappear over time in some people.

So like most spine issues its probably a pretty individual thing and varies from person to person. I'm pretty sure that an annular tear would not prevent a surgeon from operating on you, and if leaking fluid is causing symptoms to worsen then it might even expedite the need for surgery.

Not sure where the above information came from, I've been reading a fair bit lately and it all jumbles together, so don't rely on it - it could be rubbish.

Rob.

Closed Thread