It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C 6-7 nerve problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User
    C 6-7 nerve problem

Hello:
    After lifting some heavy items recently, I began having severe neck pain, pain/numbness in right forearm and right hand. (I've already been fused L 3-4 thru L 5-S 1). Dr. thought C 5-6 was herniated; MRI shows severe degenerative disc disease, severe neural foraminal encroachment of C 6-7 and bone spurs, but no herniation. Symptoms are getting worse, have extreme weakness in right arm/hand and my right hand is cold. Dr. prescribed epidural injections and then physical therapy. Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
    jaymz
    (male)

jaymz HB User
    Re: C 6-7 nerve problem

hi there, i have the same problem with my right arm and hand being numb and cold and tingly feeling, my mri shows the c5-6 ruptured ,quite large and i have surgery in about 3 weeks if i dont put it off for the daytona 500 lol if i were you i would get a 2nd opinion , my NS is the best around here where i live hes done this procedure hundreds of times so im goin with what he says peace and hope ya get well soon!

Old 01-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
    dezispec
    (male)

dezispec HB User

Sounds exactly like C6-C7 nerve compression. Is the webbing between your thumb and index finger painful as well?

Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User

Yes, that's exactly where it hurts, plus I have pain on my forearm and elbow. Also I have loss of strength in my hand as well. I really notice it when I use my hand (drying my hair, ironing, etc.) The pain is so intense I'll have to either stop what I'm doing, or I'll drop whatever is in my hand. As I mentioned, the C 5-6 disc isn't herniated (according to the MRI), but obviously something is wrong. I start epidural injections next week, and also have an EMG.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
    Dutchgirl
    (female)

Dutchgirl HB User

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel.. I am soooooooooooooo sick of the numbness, and tingling and pain and blah blah. I am also starting the epidural injections this week, and I'm pretty worried about it. Please keep me updated and let me know how it went, and what the next step is..

Take care! Hope you feel better soon!

~Annette

Old 02-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Brightlightplac and Dutchgirl,

I was wondering if either of you had the epidural injection yet? If so, what did it feel like and how did you feel immediately afterward? How is it working for you both?

I am asking because i had ACDF C4-5 & C5-6 with Titanium cages almost 10 months ago and have been suffering with severe chronic pain ever since. I was finally diagnosed 2 weeks ago with joint degeneration, arthritis and 2 bone spurs all in the area of the surgery. I now have to go to a pain clinic but i cant get in until the end of March, however, when i made the appointment they told me to make sure that i brought someone with me who could drive just incase i had to have the injection. What does it do to you so that you cant drive? Do they prescribe pain medication to take at home for a few days or in case you have break through pain or it doesnt work? Sorry for so many questions i just would like to know what i am in for. Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

ValleyGurl

Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
    dezispec
    (male)

dezispec HB User

My Nuerosurgeon frowned upon epidural injection for cervical herniations so I haven't any experience to share with epidurals.

Good luck to you Brightlightplac, an EMG was used on me 4 months after the herniation to confirm that it was the C6-C7 nerve compression causing the pain and weakness. An EMG is good for confirming the notions of the NS (the EMG revealed false nerve irregularities from C4 on down to T1), but not very good at pinpointing other trouble. An EMG is very uncomfortable but a necessary evil in my opinion. I hope the epidural will reduce the inflamation enough for you to get on with your life. I know the pain and weakness was a show-stopper for me.

Last edited by dezispec; 02-01-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User

Dear Valley Gurl:

I've had the epidural injections in the past, for my lower lumbar. They didn't help at all, in fact I didn't even have the 3rd injection. I believe the reason you can't drive is because they are invasive to your spine, and you will feel groggy. Keep an open mind I guess, I'm certainly trying to! After awhile, you just want some relifef, any relief, even if it's only temporary.
    Hang in there, and I'll post after I have my first epidural injection on Friday. Thanks for everyone's support!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
    Dutchgirl
    (female)

Dutchgirl HB User

Hi Valleygurl,

I was scheduled for an injection today at 4:00 pm, but I'm sorta chickening out. I am scared to do it, and for the last 2 days my pain has been minimal. Did yours ever come and go at first when you started having all this pain?

Okay back to the ESI: I am the type of person that won't jump into anything until I have researched all that I can, and maybe that has it's good and bad sides. I searched for epidural steroid injection information on this website, and found a lot of different answers, and I have also talked to family and friends, and still different answers.

I believe (from what I have researched) that it helps some people, and it doesn't help others. Some people have side effects, and some don't, and then some people have pain with the injections, and then some don't. From what I also understand is that there are doctor's offices out there that will make this as painless and uncomfortable as possible. For instance my mother-in-law's experience was pretty good, and they gave her an IV with relaxation medicine, and she just said that she was sore the next day.

My brother had it done on his lower back, and they only numbed the area where they gave the injection, and he said that it was painful. Although he does suggest for me to get the injection anyways, because he said that it helped him for a long time. I would think that if you have tried everything else and you are in miserable pain then maybe you should try it.

I am waiting for my 2nd MRI results to see what the cyst in my neck is, because they said that they might have to operate, and that they will fix the disks at the same time. That's why I am waiting with the injection. (well mostly).

I would call the pain clinic, and ask how they do it, and ask them if they give you an IV or if they prescribe you muscle relaxers (Valium). Also ask what certifications or experience the person has that is given the injection, because from what I understand there are quite a few people that can give this injection: doctors, radiologists, anesthesiologist, and surgeons etc.....

Here are some helpful links: http://www.spineuniversity.com/public/spinesub.asp?id=67

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-ESI.HTM

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain! Bless your heart.

~Annette

Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #10
    kelly14

kelly14 HB User

I had an epidural injection and the procedure was pretty painless. Rested for maybe 30 minutes and then was driven home. The doctor recommended taking it easy for the rest of the day but I felt good so I did errands. As I recall, I had some tenderness the next day but nothing major. I did not go for any additional shots and they do recommend a series of 3. I guess I expected some immediate relief from the C5-6 pain but unfortunately for me it didn't work. Still worth trying. Beats having surgery.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User

Hello everyone:
    Well I had my first epidural injection this morning. Of course everyone is different, but it hurt!! (Had it done in a hospital's pain clinic, given by an anesthesiologist). The Dr. said I wouldn't feel relief for 48 hours; he also said I would hurt more tomorrow than I do today. Felt a bit light headed and uncomfortable initially. Now I have extreme pain and I had to take a pain killer. I'm hoping to eventually have some relief. Although I had no relief when I had the injections in my lower spine; they actually made the pain worse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 02-05-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
    I had 3 lumbar epidurals and one cervical epidural. I had the lumbar injection's in my doctor's pain management office but the cervical one had to be done in the pain management at the hospital. All of these injection's did not give me any pain relief but instead caused me more pain. While I have read of other's getting some pain relief, this is why I had continued with the injection's and prayed that with time, that I too would get pain relief. But if I would have known then what I know now, I would have not continued with so many of the epidural's. If the first two didn't work, I should have stopped then. Also I should have medically researched them on the internet. My suggestion is for those of you who have not read, "The Burton Report," to please do so. This report tells you what the doctor's do not. I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Bilateral Distal Peroneal Neuropathy
    Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Pre-Diabetic, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea

Old 02-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User

Hello everyone:

First of all, thank you Tomorrow for your insightful reply. I went to "The Burton Report" and read up on the epidural injections. I had the first of my epidural injections on Friday morning, and I've felt no relief whatsoever. I've even had to take my pain meds. to help the pain. The pain and discomfort is actually worse than before the shot. Now I'm hesitant on getting the next 2 shots. I will wait and see how I feel in the next week or so. How disappointing!

Old 02-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #14
    Brightlightplac
    (female)

Brightlightplac HB User

Hello:

I had an appt. with my orthopaedic surgeon yesterday to discuss my treatment plan and the results of my EMG. My EMG showed right C-8 radiculopathy (which he thinks is from an "old injury") and moderate mononeuropathy. (What does that mean???). Weakness in hand and arm. The dr. wants me to continue with the last 2 epidurals, then wrote out a prescription for physical therapy for 6 weeks, with traction. If things don't "clear up" in 6 weeks, he'll order a myelogram with CT scan. Today is 1 week after my first epidural, absolutely no relief and a bit more soreness. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks for everybody's support!

Closed Thread