It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Got results about my Fusion... PLEASE help! Any info you have would be great! Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
    Lyn in Michigan
    (female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User
    Got results about my Fusion... PLEASE help! Any info you have would be great! Scared!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, my names Lyn I'm 53 and I had Cervical Fusion of C5-C7 14 months ago.

Well, the pain never exactly went away after surgery. At only 6 weeks a lady smashed into me running me off the road causing whiplash to my neck. Although the pins and plates never shifted it caused me more discomfort afterwards and I never recovered any furthur...

So here I am 14 months later and I went for a Myleogram yesterday to see if I needed furthur surgery possibly on C4...
    I heard from the doctor today and he said that C6/C7 never fused!!! What does this mean!?!? Shouldn't he have checked to see if things were fused sooner?? Will not having a non-fused vertabrae cause pain/pain to not get better?

So now he wants to go back in and put a cage at C6/C7 with metal instead of donor bone! Also he wants to take the plate off of C5/C6! Will this take away my neck and shoulder pain??? Is there a chance that the whiplash caused me not to heal properly? I'm sooo confused!

Help Lyn

Last edited by Lyn in Michigan; 01-28-2005 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
    deana p
    (female)

deana p HB User
    Re: Got results about my Fusion... PLEASE help! Any info you have would be great! Scared!

WOW Lynn, Im SO sorry to hear this ! ... I have no answer for you , just support . Did he say when he wanted to do this ? ..

Im here to listen and talk !

deana

Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User
    Re: Got results about my Fusion... PLEASE help! Any info you have would be great! Scared!

Lyn,Ican't give you to much info, but if you never fused that means the bones never healed together.My guess is that yes it could be dangerous and painful.I do think that the car acc.had a lot to do with it,again just my judgement.Ther is a very good chance that surgery would work for you,one never knows all you can do is find all the info you can and talk to your doc, family ect.AND of course us we are always here for you.You will be in my prayers tonight,I wish you the best of luck.
    Also you may consider posting on the back prolems pg. on this site it seems to me that I read some that had there surgeries not fuse.There are a few more people on that pg.and you may find some more info.
    let us know how it goes on either pg.
    Heather

Old 01-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
    Lyn in Michigan
    (female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Misery

Thanks for the info and your support and thanks to everyone else for their support also. This is mind boggling!!! I think I am in shock. I was told by my neurosurgeon at approx. 3 months post surgery and yes he knew about my accident that everything had healed properly and he was afraid that he couldn't help me that he suspected "Fibromyalgia"!!! I am the one that went to the pain clinic and got the epideral injections and back to my own doctor and got her to send me for another MRI because I refused to believe that I have fibro. I am 53 and I can't give up yet. I went back to him 14 months after surgery and he now decided to give me a myelogram and thank god he did. If I had given up and just decided to suffer with the pain then I wouldn't have found out yesterday that C6-7 never fused at all!!! Now I think he wants to take a hip graph and use my own bone because it seems like the donor bone didn't adhere. When I asked him if the car accident (whiplash) 6 wks. after surgery could have done that he said there is a possibility because at 6 weeks your fusion is still like jell!!!! I am so confused. If I have surgery and the pain is still there then what??? I know nobody has the answer to that question. It is very confusing and upsetting.
    Thanks again for your support. LynfromMichigan

Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

Lyn want to let you know you're not alone, my story is very like yours except I didn't have whiplash to make things worse. Hang in there, you now know there's a real reason for your pain and you're not going crazy - I couldn't believe how depressing it was to be pain free immediately after surgery and then go back to bad pain a few months later. I didn't fuse at both levels and instead of replacing the plate my surgeon went in from the back using screws and rods. It's a bigger operation and has taken me much longer to recover from but I'm feeling better than I've done in years.

Hope this helps, don't be afraid to get several opinions, ask about all your options then go along with the person and choice you feel most comfortable with.
    Wimpette

Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

i am so sorry to hear of your continual struggles,

Some of us from the summer fusions did have similar stupid experaincs
    i was also in bad car accident 6 weeks post op of a double level fusion.

i had to go back in see surgon more exrays, he put me back in a hard collar for 4 more weeks, total bed rest for a week, then he did more exrays ( we do think that slowed down the recovery) majorly.......
    My thoughts were after your accident did you go back in and get checked get different treatment??????
    i know you are upset angry scared and in pain, my good thoughts and prayers go out to you as you try and decide what the next step is for you in this maze of mystery. Take care of yourself.........

Old 01-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
    Lyn in Michigan
    (female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Zoey

I just read your post. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. It is terrible to have a car accident when you are still recovering!!! Especially after a 2 level fusion. After my accident they took me to the hospital and I was diagnosed by the Ortho. doctor on staff. He said I had cervical strain to my right side. Just by coincidence my Neurosurgeon happened to be in the hospital and he checked my x-rays also and said that my pins and plates were in the same position and everything about them looked good!!!! I went home and took it easy and wore my collar "still" and went back to my family doctor a week later and she said that if I was still feeling that bad to go back to my neurosurgeon. He is not easy to get in to for an appt. and in the meantime I went to my dentist twice because my jaw was sore and he told me to wear a bite splint that maybe something from the accident had caused the soreness in my jaw or that my jaw might have shifted. A few weeks later I went to a facial (maxilliofacial) surgeon to see if I possibly had TMJ. He said I didn't and that the pain was probably from the accident!!! I did go back to the neurosurgeon and he said that everything in the x-rays looked good and that he thought I might have Fibromyalgia!!! I saw him 3 times after my accident and he didn't suggest the myelogram. Now 14 months later because I won't go away because I am still in so much pain he decides to send me for one, then he discovers that I didn't fuse and he has the nerve to ask me "what is wrong with me, why didn't you heal!!!! I am very confused and have lots of decisions to make and lots of questions to ask him why he didn't suggest this test before. Sorry, I am venting!!! I do have an appt. with him on Feb. 17 and on Feb. 18 I have an appt. with another surgeon for a second opinion!!!
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!!!! - Lyn in Michigan

Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
    necknose
    (male)

necknose HB User

Lyn In Mich:

Look into ADR!

ASAP. Failed fusions can be rescued with ADR.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
    Lyn in Michigan
    (female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

necknose

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Sorry if I sound dumb but what is ADR?
    Thanks
    Lyn in Michigan

Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #10
    necknose
    (male)

necknose HB User

Artificial Disc Replacement. ****** it.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi Lyn, you and I are in the same boat. I will see my neuro next Friday. My failed fusion has caused so much pain and now I pulled my lower back out last Monday and can't stand up yet. I ended up in the ER monday eve. So now with cervical and lumbar worse don't know what they will do? I am hoping for the artificial disc replacement for my collapsed l5 but I also have l3-5 bulging so don't know? Cervical, I heard they can't do the adr on that if it had been fused? Went yesterday for an mri, the machine broke! God will this saga ever end? so , left and now so psd off just waiting to see the neuro w/o the mri. I live in the mountains and tech around here just isn't good! I have to drive 2 hrs to TN for my appt but hopefully he's one of the best! Plus I have to have someone drive me, I still can't stand up today. Please let me know what options you get, believe me I understand your pain!!!!!

Closed Thread