It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 1 mo post ACD c6-7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
    Deb F

Deb F HB User
    1 mo post ACD c6-7

Hello ALL -
    It's been a long time since I've checked in here.
    Had surgery 12/28 ACD C6-7 no fusion. I was patient #138 for my NS to do this procedure on. After the positive response to the nerve root sleeve injections, I was ready to move onto surgery.
    So far, so good. The NS said I was a mess. That not only was the herniated disc a problem, but I also had a thickened ligament that he had to trim.
    I was prepared to eat baby food, pudding and jello for a month. This was unnecessary in my case. I was eating pizza 2 days later. Although, every now and then I feel like something is stuck in my throat!
    I am feeling so very fortunate. This last wednesday I felt normal, without pain, and no drugs for the first time since 8/03. I am hopeful. I have begun to treadmill and am determined to regain the strength that I have lost in my right arm. The radiculopathy is definitely subsiding. Still have some lower trapezius burning, but not anything like before sugery. I have identified myself with pain for so long that I think it will take awhile to relearn to live without pain. Truly our bodies are amazing at how they try to protect themselves after injury to survive. I hope that this old dog can learn new tricks as quickly as possible!
    Much luck to all of you, and wishes for a pain free future!
    Deb F

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
    dezispec
    (male)

dezispec HB User
    Re: 1 mo post ACD c6-7

Congrats to you Deb! I am almost 8 weeks post ACD (with fusion here) C6-C7 and can say that I feel absolutely fabulous. I too had radiculopathy but I can tell it's subsiding and the strength to my left arm is returning quicker than I had thought. Granted, I only had compression on my nerve root and the corresponding pain and weakness for a mere 6 months, but that was long enough. I can't imagine dealing with this in terms of years as you state....

I used to hear of people complain of how their back hurts here and their neck hurts there and they slipped this disk and herniated that disk. I used to think they were simply whimps. After I had to crawl to my car and drive to the hospital with my arms over my head I finally got the picture.

What luck I have to be rid of this pain now. I wish nothing but the best to the rest of the poor souls in these threads and pray they have as good a recovery as you and I.

Closed Thread