It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone used dissolving plate/screws for ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
    dawgs41
    (female)

dawgs41 HB User
    Anyone used dissolving plate/screws for ACDF?

Hi everyone...I've been lurking here for awhile gathering information and this site has made me feel so informed. Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of dissolving plate and screws for ACDF. My doctor is considering the possibility of using these for my surgery and I was wondering if any of you have an opinion one way or another. I kind of like the idea of not having any hardware inside me which would possibly cause complications but I also don't want any compromised healing. My ACDF is at level C5-6 and scheduled for Feb. 17 (yeah, I am nervous) Thanks for your help!
    Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Anyone used dissolving plate/screws for ACDF?

I have to say that even after all of the research I have done over the years regarding just about everything related to the spine and surgeries that i have never ever heard of dissolvable hardware.Is this new?Sounds rather interesting.Marcia

Old 01-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
    dawgs41
    (female)

dawgs41 HB User

I believe it is pretty new. My doctor mentioned that I would be one of his first patients to use this hardware. I really like the idea but of course, being a guinea pig is not something I prefer. I do trust my doc though...he has done over 2000 of these procedures and is regarded very highly around here (Atlanta area) I especially like knowing that the dissolvable hardware (or is it software?) is somewhat flexible and allows for more natural movement and gradually disappears as the fusion takes place...actually, my main concern is that they will one day find that there was something toxic in the material but geez, you can drive yourself crazy with the what ifs?! Also, if any followup MRIs are needed, this material will not compromise those results...so, looks like I may give it a shot! Terry

Old 01-31-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I would definitely ask him to tell you just exactly what this 'hardware" is made out of.If he does not have the answer,ask him to find out for you.Once you do, i would do as much research on it as possible to find out what if any effect leaving this stuff floating around inside your body(once it is all dissolved) might possibly have in the long run.just ask alot of questions before you decide something that could have an impact on your health somewhere down the road.Good luck,Marcia

Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
    Janatee
    (female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Hello Feelbad... I noticed a reply you wrote to dawgs41..and I would like to ask you a few questions. You said you have neuro damage to your L and R legs! Would you be so kind as to tell me your symptoms? I had Lumbar Laminectomy in 2003, and what was removed ( a pie like piece of disc) to open spinal canal worked great. BUT.... my left leg is so heavy, numb from the knee to the foot, at times. It feels heavy, and I have spasms when I first get up. I walk with a cane, due to some unsteadyness. Doc says, maybe the nerve will regenerate in a few years? I keep praying! Please let me know if you have these symptoms also, and what do you do to cope or to feel better. I know I should be happy I have my legs at all....Thanks for any feed back, I would appreciate. Take care. Janatee

Closed Thread