It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cold hand with radiculopathy? Is this you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User
    Question Cold hand with radiculopathy? Is this you?

Hello again;

One of the symptoms I've got (I believe is related) with my herniated c5-c6 disc is my right hand tends to get cold, generally while I am sitting and not using that arm (my herniation is on the right side). When I say cold, I mean my hand gets cold to the touch of other people as well as just feeling cold (in fact my cold, cold hand is helping to type this right now!). My left hand stays at a normal temperature.

Is this a typical symptom? I've done several Internet searches and can find very little that says anything about this. I know it fits with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but I have a clear herniation (shown on MRI) that matches all my other symptoms (including profound weakness in my right arm).

I forgot to ask the NS about this particular symptom, but some other people in the medical field have suggested it may be more of a vascular issue. However, I never had the problem until recently when my herniation really got bad...

By the way, in case it's pertinent, I'm 46 years old.

Kevin

Last edited by disjointed; 02-07-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User
    Re: Cold hand with radiculopathy? Is this you?

Thanks for the information. I'll search it that way and see what I get.

To answer your question, I do have other symptoms. Pain in the back of my right shoulder, pain in my right hand, "profound" weakness in my right arm (that's what my NS called it), etc. Typical right side nerve root compression stuff.

Anyway, thanks again!

Kevin

Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

I did the search and it showed a lot of things, but I still didn't find an association of "cold to the touch" and "cervical" nerve compression (i.e., due to disc herniation). I'll keep looking...

By the way, interesting about the color returning to your face. I wonder if that's due to nerves and blood flow... that may be what causes what I've got in my hand (nerves being pinched in my neck that control the amount of blood flow to my right hand, thus making it colder to the touch as well as feel colder).

Kevin

Old 02-09-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
    jaymz
    (male)

jaymz HB User

hi there, ya i have a cold hand and numbness in my index and middle finger on my right hand , sometimes it shoots down my leg also, and i get this burning feeling in my upper back, i have a ruptured c5-c6 disc 2 weeks is surgery yikes! good luck to you and if ya need anything we are here for ya peace jaymz...

Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
    jkf1206

jkf1206 HB User

Hello Disjointed,

I also had the same symptoms you were having. My right hand was ice cold. I finally had a two level acdf last July. As soon as I was brought up to my room the first thing my husband did was to take my right hand, and right away he noticed how warm it was. Just thought this would help.

bgj1206

Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

jfk1206, thanks for the information - your situation sounds like mine! My hand isn't cold 24/7, but it is cold much of the time (most of the time in fact, especially relative to the other hand!). It's good to know it's probably related to what they'll be fixing (I have surgery next Friday, the 18th) instead of something else. The body is a strange and wonderful vessel, isn't it?

jaymz, thanks also for the info. - I know I'm not going crazy after all...

Old 02-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

aznativ, thanks for the further information on the general description. You bring up a good point - most of the sites that describe symptoms do so in a general way which may not cover every possibility.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
    jkf1206

jkf1206 HB User

I will be praying for you on the 18th. Good luck and hope this relieves all your symptoms. If you have any more questions let me know.

jkf1206

Closed Thread