It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5-C6 fusion miracle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
    sanshock

sanshock HB User
    C5-C6 fusion miracle

I went to surgery the 10th of this month (9 days ago) because of a collapsed disc and 2 bone spurs at C5-C6. Lots of pain, numbness, the whole gamut of problems. Well.....to make a long story short, I had "Dr Miracle" for a surgeon! I went into surgery at 2pm and left the hospital at 8pm with only a sore throat where the incision is. When I woke up in recovery my first thought was how my neck and shoulders didn't hurt any more. Have to wear the collar for another 5 days, but other than that I'm feeling great (sore throat gone). After reading about the likelyhood of the throat soreness on the board here I had already stocked up on soft foods, and stuck with them for the first 5 days. Going into that was pretty scary, but things are great now. I also have a herniated disc and another spur at T9-T10 and will have surgery for that in a few months, and although I'm not looking forward to it, my mind is much more at ease now after this one. Wow! Before you know it I'll be for the summer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
    jaymz
    (male)

jaymz HB User
    Re: C5-C6 fusion miracle

did they use a plate and screws ?

Old 02-20-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
    sanshock

sanshock HB User

Yes they did. First they put in a piece of bone from a cadaver, then after all was done put in a titanium plate with 4 screws in it. Kinda funny, from it's shape it looks like one of those little doggie bones on the xray. The screws looks to be about 3/4" long, and when I saw the xray I thought "Whoa!! how come I can't feel those?!?!" I felt a little strange when the doc told me beforehand about the cadaver bone, but hey, I'm 64 years old and from what I've read when they take a piece of bone from your own hip that takes more recovery time that the neck and throat does.

I read your posting about the problems you have jaymz, and wish that my story could be one of hope for you. The problem I had before surgery seems miniscule compared to the pain you must be having. I give you my prayers and hope that someone somewhere will find a solution for you. My doc is in Indianapolis....if you're up for seeing another one on top of those you've seen I'll be glad to give you contact info.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

Congrats on everything turning out OK, Sanshock! Is your throat still no longer sore or has the soreness returned? For me it was just a touch sore in the hospital, then seemed to almost disappear until I got home on day 2. Now it appears it's here to stay for a while (although I must admit I just had surgery on Friday morning so it's only been 3 days).

I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Kevin

Old 02-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
    sanshock

sanshock HB User

Throat was pretty sore for the first few days, but now (day 10) it only bothers me a little if I try to swallow much at one time. For the most part it's just a small hindrance, but a nit compared to all the pain I was having before surgery. I was supposed to wear the collar for another 3 days, but after another almost sleepless night and feeling like I was wearing a turtle neck sweater that was 2 sizes too small I ditched it about 3am this morning and feel fine. There's a little discomfort if I turn my head very far, but I can live with that limitation better than I can the collar.

I've also read in the board where people are concerned about numbness around the incision area on their throat. I have that too, but know from other surgeries in the past that that's normal so I'm not concerned about it. I'm able to move my arms around in positions I haven't been able to for a few years (like when dressing myself) and the constant ache caused by the pinched up nerves is gone. I FEEL GREAT!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
    bigfella
    (male)

bigfella HB User

you should wear your collar a long time

Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
    sanshock

sanshock HB User

I appreciate your concern bigfella, but the doc said 2 weeks for the collar after surgery. I saw him 2 days ago for my 5 week post op exam and he and I both agree things have progressed extremly well. I don't have to see him again until about August when we go to work on the herniated thoracic disc. I'm still pretty careful not to put any strain on my neck...like turning too far to the side or looking too far up or down....for a while, but things have gone very well for me.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
    dawgs41
    (female)

dawgs41 HB User
    Talking Re: C5-C6 fusion miracle

Sanshock, I know how you feel about a "miracle". I also had ACDF C5-6 almost 4 weeks ago and feel great! I still have some slight soreness in my shoulders but even if I had to live with that for the rest of my life, it would be no problem. I hurt so bad before surgery and when I woke up I couldn't believe the relief I felt...I wanted to kiss my surgeon (not really, but you must know I was ecstatic) It is so nice to see a post like yours...I was beginning to think I was in the minority as far as great recoveries go....kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. Granted it is early in the recovery phase and I still haven't had an X-ray to check for fusion, but I have to believe that everything is going fine. I was the first patient that my doctor used a dissolving plate and screws...I know since I was his guinea pig he is particularly interested in my success! Good luck to you!

Old 03-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
    jaymz
    (male)

jaymz HB User

yes sir i am in quite bad shape for a 38 year old.i am glad your doing good! i have 11 weeks to heal and go back to work or i am worth more dead than alive and i have a family, so i leave it in Gods hands for 11 weeks ty sir and keep getting better ! jaymz

Closed Thread