It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nsaids nightmare?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Red face Nsaids nightmare?????

Hi Everyone,Let me tell ya, I am glad to be posting again!!!! I whave been feeling bad off and on since Christmas,was not sure what or why,then this past Saturday,symptoms kicked up a notch,and since I had a prior heart attack I walked myself into the ER,well.......I did not walk for 6 days after,long story shot,I have a ulcer in the small intestine,that caused a massive bleed,had to have 4 pints of blood,and need to build up another 2,so I had lost half my blood by the time the hospital figured it out, which is a long icky story,and possible law suit,which I would never even try for,cuz they cover thier *** so well,but the GI doc,says more then likely the ulcer was formed from the nsaids use since my neck surgery, and the fact that I need to use plavix,which does the job its meant too,thin the blood,and it did not help that they were giving me heperan shots in the belly to thin the blood more,what a nightmare!I came real close to buying the farm, for the third time in my life,gosh I hope I have 9 like they say cats have!!! watch the meds, and no empty tummies when ya take them ok,Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
    jaymz
    (male)

jaymz HB User
    Re: Nsaids nightmare?????

its amazing i dont have an ulcer from worrying lol.4 more days ! UGH

Last edited by jaymz; 02-19-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Diana,thankgod you are ok!!what made you decide to go to the er?I ask b/c 2 weeks ago my husband almost bled to death.He was bleeding thru the stool. Of course he was out of state when it happened and for once he wasn't a hard head about going to see a doc.I of course was near histeria.Now they managed to stableize him and send him home,and we went strait to our doc, the problem is they haven't found the cause.He hasn't been sick no injuriesand he doesn't take nsaids or ibuprophin.So here it is 2 weeks later and we still don't know anything.How did the docs find your bleed?
    I hope you are now doing great,and thankgod for 9 lives.Your gardian angel must have really been watching you close,Take care,and take it easy.Heather

Old 02-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi Misery,Thankyou so much for the well wishes,and yep I agree, my "Angels"were on double duty!I also lost the blood through the stools, black tarry nasty's, that the nurses were just flushing away!!!!!!I went in cuz, my breathing got harder, one case at home of the nasty stool,cold hands and feet, yet sweating,and no way to remain still,very cagey feeling,the hospital after day 3 and near death,finely seen that my blood count was dropping drastically,so in I went , 1st test,camera down throat,they found some raw stuff on my stomach lineing, but not enough to account for the major bleed, then 2nd test,camera up the bumm,ouch! but really a test that should be done, due to colon cancer, well.....that came out ok,they knew the blood was not from my heart or other organs , cuz I had a ton of CAT scans,so that left the small intestine,...problem, bleeding stopped prior to Cat scan on it,the Black stool means digested blood,so I am now on meds to help decrease acid in stomach,and heal ulcer,it was a very scary time,and I will pray for your husband,hopefully he can find the Doc he needs ,let me know how it goes, ok?I go back in ,a weeks time, so I will also let ya know how that is,Diana ("its always something")

Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Good morning Diana.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Sorry, computer problems,I have typed this response 3x now.Anyway thankyou so much for answering my questions.I'm very glad you are doing better.This is just to scary to have to deal with!Is your blood count back to normal?hubby's is just over 10,still not great.Dop you think you will have to have surgery to fix the problem?we don't no yet but we wre told it is a option.Overall how do you feel?How is your color?
    My husband experainced the exact same symptoms.He passed out in the woods for close to an hour.He wasn't alone but was not by his freind at that point.
    His color was, is,pale blotchy,and very yellow.I've never seen anything quite like that.
    His blood count is just over10.He also had both of those camaras done,then a barium test to check for blockage,for the endoscopy pill camara.He had this done on thurs...we are supposed to have results yesterday.A nurse called at 10 min to 5pm and tells me the camara stayed in his stomach for the entire 8hrs.($3500,down the drain literally)So we still don't know where or how bad the bleed is .They also say small intestine.Now my biggest problem is my hubby's getting on a plane for Vegas with his best friend for a 4 day bachlor party.(he promised he won't drink!)Not that that makes me feel any better.His doc wasn't around when the nurse called(gone for the weekend)so I actually called the man at home something I have never done!!!I told him what hubby was going to do and he told me to let him go!Bleeding has stopped as far as we know.I do not want him to go. He is adament about going(best friend).I'm still very worried something eles will happen.
    Please let me know how your next appt. goes and really wish you the best.I hope you are feeling better and stronger every day...Take care Heather

Old 02-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi Misery,My blood count stood at 10.8 when I came home Friday,I walked in at a little under 10,then dropped while in hospital to 6.9,at that point my head could not come off the bed, I soiled myself, and took everything I had to grab nurses arm and tell her I was dying,talk about missing the boat,most of this occured in the ICU,I am getting back some color,weak yet, and if I walk a bit to far, like kitchen to bathroom to living room, I get real breathy and heavey feeling legs,they want me to build up those last two pints myself,I had a total of 6 pints in, lost two more, recieved two more,what a nightmare, but let me tell ya, the second the second and third bag was put in I started feeling a heck of alot better, my GI says there is more then 20 foot of small intestine,and the camerea has a hard time telling them where that ulcer is, in time frame,intresting that your hubbies stayed in stomach, cuz I rememering telling my hubby that my stomach rarely growled anymore,that when on for a couple months,I think it like shuts down,so tell hubby small but often meals hungry or not,lots of sipping water,no caffine,seemed like the carbonation in soda hurt more then helped,so stick to juices like apple ,grape,ect..I can understand his not wanting to miss his trip,hope he's not in flight long, if so, get up often walk, if his urine production goes down, stay alert, seek help cuz from there it was fast down hill,I will post again soon as often as ya want, there is a s,now storm here and I am not going anywhere,knock on wood my neck is doing ok,haha gee's what a wreak I am,got two down with the flu here, so I am walking around with rubbing alcohol,washing down handles ect......KK take care, Diana

Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Diana,same here.Last 3 weeks kids everyone has been sick.As hard as it is to clean with my back Ive been trying to keep up and yes have the bottle of lysol with me where ever i go.Even rubbing alcholed this key board!!
    We also have snow here,but I'm not sure how much we are supposed to get,YUCK hate snow!!It sounds like you lst more blood than my hubby.He feels really good now,But I can tell hes not himself yet.HE will NOT admit it to me though.
    He experianced the same things as far weak lite headed,shaky,shortness of breath.He said his chest was so tight at one point he thought he was having a heartattack.
    Thanks for the info on food and drink we weren't told any of that,but its a good idea.He has a direct flight,so its about 1hr,maybe alittle more,so that part is good.I still haven't been able to convice him to stay home though.He is the best man.so my chances are probably nill!!
    Put a towel around your face or the sick ones last thing you need is the flu,Yuck.
    You still sound like your not in the best of shape yet either?!So take it easy,did you have the pill camara?I know the other 2 test can't reach all of the bowel.Part of the reason I'm still concered is that for the last few yrs,he has been having these episodes mostly at work(hot days construction)He knows to be very careful with water intake inthe heat.Then he ends up lihjt headed,hard to breathe,tight,chest,pale,I mean losing color right now,you can see it leave his face.He is really dark from working outside for 25yrs.Also shaky.He always sits down and drinks and eats a sandwich or something.We have had him checked for diabetes 6 times always fine.I think this is identical to what happened and he doesn't think so.
    I wonder if you can have a slow leak?I'm def. going to say something to the gi when we see him again.Hubby's doc also wants him to build owne blood supply back up.Why?
    i'M SO SORRY YOU ARE GOING THRU THIS TO!!we shouldn't have to live like this at all.
    I know all this extra running around has got my back tied into knots,Ican hardley stand it and meds aren't helping yesterday or today.Actually I don't think they ever work but I wont let pm raise them,I'm dopey enough.Even my girls make fun of me.(little brats lucky i love em!)O.k I have got to pasefor awhile.I'm glad your neck is doing ok.Love sentyour way..Heather

Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Thankyou so much Heather,and yes it can be a slow leak, I can place this all starting back just before Xmas,the one sign that was always first, and I knew was not normal from the start, was the instant cold feet and hands, and cold sweat, its an awfull feeling, cuz on one side your freezing, yet the sweat just goes through everything,and does not wipe off,very cold,unlike the flu where you are cold and shivering,then fever breaks and through off covers too sweat,this is a mopping sweat, and your cold,yuck big time,at my worse in the hospital, the stool was explosive,black and smell of death, honestly I do not want to gross ya out,but there is no other way to explain,tell hubby to listen to the body, dont dismiss it,and unlike me, scream for attention, never again will I except the nurses doing what they did,oh and this flu thing, I hope you avoid it too, ya sound just like me, w/ the spray and wipe, wipe wipe, my lower back is killing me too, try to slow down too, ok, it sounds like your everything in the world to them,we Moms cant stay down,haha thats for sure, Love Diana

Old 02-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Hey you didn't gross me out.Although I wasn't there my hub said the same thing about the smell,said it made him gag it was so bad!!!He had the exact same kind of sweating def worse when he was in the hospital.These spells that we have called them have been the same way only not as severe.Hes had them for 5yrs.srated right after he had stomach surgery for hiatal hernia.We have told the doc/surgen,many times with no results.His doc knows I mean business they will figure it out or have to deal with me.I'm very mild mannered but not when it comes to my family,I don't even give my nsor pm this much grief.He psomises to be very careful so I finally conceded,I think he understands how scared I am,I balled my eyes out the other day and I never do that.So I'll let him go,with my fingers crossed.
    Yes I'm slowing down spending the rest of the day on the couchw/kids and hubby watching movies,and patching jeans(YUCK).Def. let me know how things go and what your gi says,love ya Heather

Old 02-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

Hi Diana;

I'm confused as to why they would have you on NSAIDs after neck surgery. I understood that NSAIDs can interfere with the fusion process. I found this out because in addition to having a herniated disc at C5-C6 (repaired last Friday with ACDF including plating) I have two torn menisci in my left knee that I need to have arthroscopically fixed. Anyway, my NS said stop taking the NSAIDs before the surgery because they can make you bleed more heavily during the surgery. And since then I've read somewhere (maybe it was here on these boards?) that they can also interfere with the fusion process.

By the way, I agree with you about the meds on a full stomach. I'm currently taking Lortab (10 mg) and even though it doesn't specify taking with food it literally makes me sick if I take on an empty stomach. Indeed, I get queasy, light-headed, and end up with the shakes for a few minutes (until I put something else in my stomach at which point it almost immediately gets better).

Anyway, glad to hear you're doing better! Hang in there!

Kevin

Last edited by disjointed; 02-21-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #12
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Morning Diana,Dropping in to see how you are doing.
    Hubby left about a hour ago.Not happy but I can't tie him down.I hate when he's gone,but it's much worse this time.I made him promise no drinking.He's not a big drinker anyway but a bunch of guys in Vegas for a bachlor party for 4 days!I also made him promise to go to a hospital if he feel sick of any kind.He's kind of pig headed about this.(Men!)
    Anyway I forgot yesterday did GI tell you to start taking iron to help build up your blood supply?Hubby can't start that till after pill camara,it says you must not take iron for a week before.I don't know why though.I'm going to call the doc today and see if they know why it stayed in his stomach for 8hrs.And a friend of mine who is a nurse told me that the battery doesn't last much longer than 8hrs,so I wonder what they will do?
    I hope that your not doing to much.Take it easy on the wiping,I have to try and clean today as well.It's the 1st time I have been home alone in 3weeks!I was very happy to send all 4 girls back to school.
    How is your back and neck holding up?Let me know how you are feeling and I hope everything is going well.TAke care,loveya Heather

Old 02-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #13
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi Keven and Heather,Lets see, the Nsaids, your right they can mess w/ a fusion,but it was the lesser of two evils, I had C6-7 fused donar bone,but the Doc left c5-6 bulged pretty bad,not to mention I had stenosis of l4-5 surgery just 2 months before the neck, so anti-inflams were my best bet for pain control,and like I said, I suffered a massive heart attack in "97' and had double bypass, so I am on plavix and asprin therapy,or at least was, I am free flying as of now,my fusion went well and healed, it was w/ plateing and I wore a hard collar for better then 12 weeks,ThankGod for that,I know as I type this I sound like a train wreak, haha I am 44 yrs old and given every gene possible to cause trouble,hehe my kids walk lightly,and of course I am on them like a wet blanket in regards to smoking ect......I hope I helped ya out a bit keven,lol its one of those dont do as I do , do as I say,Take care,Hi Heather!!! So the hubby is off, try not to worry so much, you know the stress thing,I know easier said then done......Your right 4 days in Vegas is a temptation on drinking, but I have a feeling your hubby will play it easy,the symptoms w/ this ulcer is nasty,and I can not imagine rocking the boat.I am kicking back a bit, but haha like you well know, the world stops for no Man,and spins a bit faster for a Mom,I have a teenage daughter , my youngest, who is a God send,honestly I do not know what this house would of looked like since this back, neck stomach thing all started,I am sure I would be pushing my way through!!!!!I hope we both manage to stay clear of these flu bugs,yuck,my 18 yr old has been coughing non-stop day 3,nothing seems to touch it,hubby was down for 6 days, and he never gets sick I have those anti-virus kleenex haha in my hand constantly.I am not sure about the camera, I did not get that,but yep got the iron pills, and "Protonix"for the acid,I am feeling better daily, Thankyou, Let me know how stuff is going, your a real sweetheart,and hey hope hubby wins big there!!!!!!!! love Diana

Last edited by solardust; 02-21-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

I know what you mean about great kids,I'm 34,oldest is 15 and so very responsiable(spelling)She has been great about realy helping out around the house!I don't know what I would do without her.My other 3 are 11,9,7,they make more mess than cleaning but that normal.It makes me crazy but its normal.I think the one of the hardest things for me to deal with is that its not as good as I do it.I need to work on that,stupid I know but I guess it doesn't matter if the house is messy.
    Sorry to hear everyone is still feeling poorly flu is no fun.My motherinlaw went to the er last nite and tested positive for influenza.She is right across the street and kids are always going over,I hope they don't come down with this to.
    So just how well are the anti-viral kleenxs working?HA .Does your daughter have a dry cough?Musinex works great!It is a little pricey but worth it. we use it for one of my girls who has asthma it makes a big diff.
    You know its bad when hubby gets it,mine usally doesn't get sick either.
    I'm so very glad you are feeling better!! Ya wouldn't it be great if he did win big!Our luck though it will never happen.It sure is fun to talk and dream about what you would do though.love Heather

Old 02-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi heather,Thanx for the musinex idea, never tried that before,I will let ya know how it works.I hope your kids dont come down with this,nasty flu thats for sure! I'm not sure how those kleenex's are working, all I know one is in my hand constantly,hha,Hey dream,ya never know,might get that phone that brings them true!!!!! take care, Diana p.s my kids,27,25,22,18,15 all great kids.

Closed Thread