It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• whats wrong with my spine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
    ajie

ajie HB User
    whats wrong with my spine?

today is president's day so i can't see any doctors so i was wondering if someone on here could help. i recently was under a lot of stress and i think i put my back in a compromising position and now i have soreness/pain on my spinal cord, specifically it's two bones/discs on the upper back? are the things which stick out discs? anyways i dont know if its a herniated disc or what. pushing on them is when i feel the pain. basically it feels somewhat off center which is what worries me. and its just two of them in the upper back. i think my arms legs work fine , i think.

Last edited by ajie; 02-21-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
    pwood
    (female)

pwood HB User
    Re: whats wrong with my spine?

I bet that the sore place on your back you are referencing is the spinous process of a few vertebrae. They have muscles and ligaments attached to them, and when you are stressed or in unusual positions, these tissues get tight and less adaptable making your prominent spinous processes sore. You can start by trying local heat (20min) or ice (15min) to get the blood flowing and relax the tissues. The spinal cord itself is very well protected, although a comprimising position can irritate the tissues surrounding it. Typically a healthcare provider would advise you to perform alternating heat & ice, try some deep breathing, avoid strenuous exercise, and try to change positions to keep from getting stiff. A doctor might also add some pain meds or muscle relaxers. Hope this helps. pwood

Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
    ajie

ajie HB User

so it's not a herniated disc? why does it feel off center?

Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

discs are at the front, not back of the spine. Pain caused by discs is quite different to muscular or ligament pain. You can't feel your spinal cord with your hands, its completely surrounded by discs and vertebrae at the front, and the spinous processes at the back.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Youmay have also moved your spine out of line.Usually some good slow stretches can help shift it back into position.I do hope that is your only problem as I garentee you donot want to be in the same boat as the rest of us!!
    Take care,H.

Closed Thread