It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Occipital C3 Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
    tammielively
    (female)

tammielively HB User
    Question Occipital C3 Fusion

I'm looking for someone with the same or similiar situation as mine. I would like to know how there coping with no head movement and chronic pain. I had a bone pushed back on my spinal cord, which bruised a section of my spinal cord, causing permanent damage. I have a wire and ten screws in my neck and head. I have found it very difficult to deal with this, because there doesn't seem to be any support groups, for people like me, in my area. I am not paralyzed. It's funny, how you take the little things for granted, until you can't do them anymore. Such as: shaving under your arms, driving a car, getting dressed, putting a pillow case on a pillow, or even seeing if someone is behind me.So if there is anyone out there, please respond, I'd like to talk to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Occipital C3 Fusion

Its tough, hang in there. I don't have that but can relate. After surgery I had to wear a hard collar for 8 1/2 weeks- 24x7, and still wear it off and on now at 12 weeks. I don't like turning my head so much now because I can hear clicking and I dont go back until 4/7. It is hard to not turn your head and be so confined. I learned to turn my body instead of my neck. Get a great pillow for relief, i totally understand about the most stupid thing like put a pillow case on the pillow. Or reading a book for more than 5 minutes. When you go through things like this it really makes you appreciate life. Keep your spirits up! Hang out here, there are good support people, also lots of people looking for help.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
    kay1946
    (female)

kay1946 HB User

Hi Tammie,

I know exactly how you feel. Right after my surgery (am fused C3-C7) I wore a hard collar for 3 1/2 months. I assumed after the surgery everything would return to normal. This was my 2nd cervical fusion, original done in 91 C-4 thru C7. In 2003 they did a redo of last level and added 1 above.

Well when the collar came off I had no movement left or right. I can move approximately 1 inch left and 1 inch right. Believe me I was not prepared. I also can not look up or down.

There are days when I really feel like I have lost so much. Other days I feel lucky that I am not paralyzed. It takes a bit of getting used to. I also take an antidepressant.

I no longer work. So at 58 I find myself home all day, unable to drive and do much of what I enjoyed most of my life, (I also have had lumbar spine done and needs to be redone as I have a L4-5 rerupture and DDD L5-S1. ) I will put that off until I can no longer walk. I am now on SS Disability and just became eligible for Medicare.

I have had to do things like rearrange my kitchen. Bought a butcher rack to put my pots and pans on because I can't reach down or turn my head to see where everything is. Also, I got a new fridge and keep things I use often on the top two shelves. You will adapt it just takes time. One of the things I miss most is reading.

You are the first one I have found to have the same problem. I read alot of posts but don't often write. (Can't sit too long at computer either due to back pain.) I also get arm and shoulder pain from nerve damage when I use my hands too much.

The boards are a great place to read and talk. Oh-- I also bought a grabber and use a shower stool. I use a cane when outside, 1 for help with leg pain and 2 to feel for curbs and bad spots I can no longer see. I trip on anything left on the floor.

I hope this helps you to know you are not alone. I have not found any support groups either. Luckily for me we have handicapped transportation here. You call ahead and make reservations and they will take me anywhere for 1.25 and pick me up for a set time. You might check and see if that is available where you are.

Take care and hope to "talk" to you again.

Kay

Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
    TurtleD
    (female)

TurtleD HB User

Kay, I listen to a lot of audio books now because reading for any length of time is a problem. You might check out your local library and see what they have. I live in a small town, but we still have a pretty good selection.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
    tammielively
    (female)

tammielively HB User
    Smile Re: Occipital C3 Fusion

Dear, Kay Thanks for responding. It makes me fell better knowing your out there! I also have ask for SS disability, but I have not heard back yet. I have been dealing with depression alot lately. I'm taking Lexapro, It is helping me. There are still some day's I fell like giving up. My doctors are saying there is nothing else they can do for me. I tried to return to work, but mess up my back even more. So, all I do now is sit at home. I'm not very good at this computer stuff. My son thought it would help me and take up some of my time. I would like to here from you again, to see how you are doing! Thanks!

Closed Thread