It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Babinski Reflex an early warning sign

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
    abs2004
    (female)

abs2004 HB User
    Question Babinski Reflex an early warning sign

My doctor told me that I have the Babinski reflex at my last physical. She didn't seem too concerned (in fact, she just seemed interested that I had it)... BUT, I'm rather worried, because it is associated with many different neurological disorders. I'm healthy, except for migraine headaches. Could these symptoms be an early warning sign of some disorder, or can I have this reflex and be perfectly healthy?
    Thanks for any advice!
    Abby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    Re: Babinski Reflex an early warning sign

Do you know if you've always had it? And do you have any spinal disorders or other neurological disorders? I've got c5/c6 herniated disc with some cord compression and lots of mild symptoms in the legs in the form of tingling, prickling etc. but no babinsky. If I developed babinsky it would probably be a fairly strong indication that I was developing myelopathy and that my condition was progressing and I would be pretty seriously considering surgery asap.

I would recommend seeing a neurologist to find out more, because if you have a progressive condition then you need to know what the treatment options are sooner rather than later.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
    abs2004
    (female)

abs2004 HB User

Yes, I'm fairly sure it's something I have always had. I know for sure I've had it for at least 6 years, because when I was in college I took a human physiology class and we had a lab that tested for it. I didn't think anything of it at the time, and only recently had a physical where my doctor mentioning it, made me remember. I don't have any disorders that I know of, and no other symptoms other than the reflex. That is why I was wondering if it could just be a fluke and not mean anything, especially since my doctor wasn't concerned. But, how can I get a referel to a neurologist when my doctor isn't even concerned? Now I'm kind of scared! I thought I was perfectly healthy.
    ~Abby

Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

Well if you've always had it and you've got no other health problems, then its probably nothing to worry about. I guess if the doctor wasn't concerned maybe its not uncommon for people to have it. My answer was partially based on the assumption that since this is a spinal disorders board you were on here because you had some spinal problems. Most babies have the babinsky reflex when they're born but it goes away as they get older, but maybe in some people it doesn't.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
    Sam43
    (male)

Sam43 HB User

Question: What is babinsky reflex??

Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

The test for babinsky involves scraping a sharp object (e.g. like a pen or a car key) along the underside of the foot. In most people there is either no reaction or your toes bend forward/downward a little. With the babinsky reflex your toes bend backwards/upwards instead. Just after my daughter was born a few months ago I tried it just with my finger along her foot and it went backwards.

The theory behind these reflex tests is interesting - basically in your body there are a lot of primitive reflex arcs where a nerve detects a stimulus it is sent to the spinal cord and that links directly to a motor nerve which fires straight away and moves a muscle (without going via the brain). As our nervous system matures, our brain gets involved in modifying these reflex arcs by sending dampening/control signals down the cord to modify the reflex. If you have damage to the cord between your brain and the level at which the reflex arc nerve roots enter and exit, then the modifying signal from the brain doesn't get through properly, and so the reflexes revert back to their 'primitive' state. This is why cervical spinal cord damage can result in 'hyper-reflexivity' and things like the babinsky reflex - because there is no modifier signal, the reflex just pops at full speed without tempering/modification from the brain signal getting involved.

(note - this is only my laymans interpretation of what I've read and could be a little wide of reality )

Old 04-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
    abs2004
    (female)

abs2004 HB User

It's something the doctor tests you for. He/she will run something sharp along the lateral side of your foot.

"Babinski's reflex occurs when the great toe flexes toward the top of the foot and the other toes fan out after the sole of the foot has been firmly stroked. This is normal in younger children, but abnormal after the age of 2. "-*****

Hope this helps...

Closed Thread