It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Paraplegia, Cervical Stenosis, Now Horner's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
    fayth
    (female)

fayth HB User
    Angry Paraplegia, Cervical Stenosis, Now Horner's

I am one week post acdf c567. When in post op, nurse kept asking me if I had sunburned half of my face. Because I had been in the sun day before, because I was post op acdf coming down from anesthesia, because I was darn happy I could still move my fingers as I have been a T4 paraplegic for 27 years, I really didn't pay much attention to the nurses's remarks about my weird sunburn. When I got to hospital room, my family commented on my drooping eyelid and everyone including doctor thought it was anesthesia related. After I got home and drooping did not improve after 72 hours, I typed eyelid and cervical spinal stenosis in search engine, and guess what? I realized I had the symptoms of horner's - drooping eyelid, mismatched pupils and redness on right side of face. I called the neurosurgeon's nurse who first told me it wasn't related to my surgery(don't you just love it), but, after speaking with neuro, called me back and made an appointment for two days after. My eyelid did improve so I cancelled the appointment, thinking it was resolving, but today I discovered I was back to my new "stroke" look. I will call and get another appointment, but am not expecting much help. My right shoulder hurts worse than pre-surgery, and I have more numbness in right hand now. I also suspect the poor posture I have because of loss of abdominal muscles from paraplegia(car wreck @ 16 years old) is placing abnormal stress on my fusion site. If I hold myself up straight with my arms, my sore throat from fusion disappears. SO! As I am finding out very little about Horners (permanent?), just wondering if anyone has any advice, experience, etc. How long do I wait before I call a lawyer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Paraplegia, Cervical Stenosis, Now Horner's

Howdy, and welcome to my world.i developed horners after a surgical procedure to try and remove what is called a cavernoma from the inside of my spinal cord.Mine took about two weeks to develop,at least the dialated pupil and the droopy eyelid.Horners is caused by direct damage to the sympathetic nervous system.Sometime during your surgery, the surgeon must have hit the sympathetic ganglia that runs along the outside of almost the entire length of the vertebral column.It would not be all that difficult to do actually considering how the ganglis run.My SNS was damaged up at the C 8 nerve area which is where the 'junction box" of nerves run through.All of the facial symptoms are caused by a damaged facial nerve.I too have the droop and about six months after it appeared, my R pupil finally went back to normal and I regained the sweating back on the side of my face.the droop is only noticable now mostly when I am tired.but now,within the past couple of months, I woke up one morning and lo and behold, the dialated pupil was once again back and is still driving me nuts. In all the research that I have done so far on horners, I was not able to find anything really 'bad" associated with it.However, the damaged SNS has its own set of problems and possibilities.I developed what is called RSD in my R knee and on down through my foot.This was triggered by the SNS damage.but no one can seem to explain just why one person gets it and another does not.I have to stp typing for now as my l hand was quite neuro damaged during my surgery along with a very long list of other things up there in the spine, and my fingers just will stiffen and stop working.if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me, K? If I am up to it, I will answer asap.Take care,and please no that you are not alone out there. **

Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
    fayth
    (female)

fayth HB User

Thanks for your reply. If my eye is improving, it's a very slow progression. My doc is calling it a stretch injury to the nerve that runs to the eye, and seems bewildered by it as it is on the opposite side of where they went in to my neck. I am going to give it five months as I am down one month now from surgery, then request another MRI. My right shoulder, neck and hand are still painful and cramping. The eye droop occurs on the right side also. Am going to start massage therapy soon and I hope manipulation of the muscles, nerves, etc will bring some relief. This may sound weird, but I also am "exercising" my eyelid, moving the lid up and down, moving eye around turning light on and off to help pupil change. I have no idea if this will help, but it makes me feel better - stimulating a damaged nerve. Anyway, any more ideas are welcome, and I hope you had a good pain-free day today.
    F

Old 04-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
    BarbaraH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

My Dad developed Horner's from having cancer in his upper right lung (before surgery). Eye droop, a hoarse voice, and shoulder pain were his only symptoms. I'm not saying yours is not related to surgery, or that it's cancer, but do be aware there are other reasons for Horner's to start.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 05-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Horners syndrome is actually a 'symptom" of sympathetic nervous system damage.Your fathers tumor must have somehow touched or affected the SNS at some level.So sorry about your father.Marcia

Old 05-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
    fayth
    (female)

fayth HB User

Doing the armchair doctor thing - one common thread seems to be sore shoulder...mine sure is. I have had some symptoms of a cold for past two days and whatever progress I've made in resolving the horner's seems to have disappeared. I looked in the mirror this morning at my one huge pupil and one small pupil and thought I would have been burned at the stake 300 years ago. When the eyelid droops badly it looks like my eye is dead.
    I am going to do more research on horners - what is the path of this part of the SNS?

Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The easist way to explain this quite honestly is to do a search on either sympathetic ganglia or hit some good neuroanatomy sites.I could try to explain how this runs but I know i would end up just confusing you more,trust me,lol.Unfortunetly, most of the info that I have been able to find regarding horners,during the past year and a half has been rather repetetive at best.But I guess that may be kind of a good thing as if there were major problems or complications, you would be able to find much more info,you know what I mean?I don't know if this ever really just goes away with time or what.i know the first time, it resolved itself pretty much after six months but the droopiness in the lids stayed.Now I have it back again so who knows.but I can tell you that I really have not had any other 'things' pop up that I could relate to it.If you do find out anything interesting about horners,can you enlighten me?I will do the same.Good luck in your search.marcia

Closed Thread