It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone had ACDF revision surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
    Anyone had ACDF revision surgery?

I'm looking for options. I had a 3 level ACDF a couple of years ago, but my cord is compressed by spurs at C5/6. Just wondering if anyone else has had to have the ACDF redone/revisited. I'd like them to do it in a minimally invasive way as first choice, or anteriorly again, but am worried if they want to do it posteriorly.

Thanks in advance.

whackedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: Anyone had ACDF revision surgery?

There are several of us here who have had repeat cervical surgery for problems arising from our original ACDF. I had a fusion that failed at both levels. As a result of this I had significant spurs causing nerve root compression.

I got several opinions about my options. In my case I was told that it would be possible to go in anteriorly again, take out the plate and redo things BUT this was not as successful as a posterior approach and could also be complicated by scar tissue. All the various opinions agreed that the best approach with the greatest chance of success was a posterior instrumented fusion and decompression.

Like you, that was not what I wanted to hear!! However I chose to go ahead with posterior 3 level fusion with rods and now almost 6 months later am very glad I did it. The recovery time is long but I think as a redo one tends to be more conservative and take it slowly. However I really feel better than before and am continuing to progress. It was not a procedure I rushed into and would advise getting as many opinions as possible.

Good luck, you'll probably hear from quite a few others who have needed repeat surgery.

W

Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

wimpette-

I've supposedly fused, and it's bone causing my compression at C5/6. I might even consider sending films to Dr. Jho to see if he might get at it somehow. But with previous surgery, he will probably decline.

whackedback

Old 04-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

If you've fused I believe that the safest approach will be posterior so the surgeon has access to the area that needs decompression and does not go through scar tissue. Certainly shouldn't be as major a procedure as a posterior fusion, the downside is that they do need to cut through muscle so that the rehab can be longer. Let us know what your surgeons feel is best and what you decide.

Good luck,
    W

Closed Thread