It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Weird "Humming" in Spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
    noreencaren
    (female)

noreencaren HB User
    Weird "Humming" in Spine

Hello,
    I have never really talked to an MD about it and I think I should but I hate wasting time so I am coming here for some advice. Anyway, sometimes I experience a weird humming in my spine. Like I can feel very very small vibrations and a humming sound from the cervical spine and base of my neck.

I was wondering if this is common and if I should actually worry about it.

Over the years my memory isn't the same. I used to be extremely smart. (i still am but my memory is squat) I was in the top tenth percentile on the SAT's in High School but over the last five years I often forget things, names of people that I've worked with for years. I'll read a book and forget details of the book.

I have a history of "Flash Brain Pains" it's like a shooting pain from the back of head to the front. It happens quickly but is very painful. I only get them once every few months but it freaks me out.

I had an MRI done last year, bloodwork, etc for the head pains. I am only 25, does anyone know if this is a common thing?

-Noreen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
    necknose
    (male)

necknose HB User
    Re: Weird "Humming" in Spine

noreencaren:

I've had the same symptoms. I think it's microspasms. Could be from tension could be from disease. It might be worthwhile getting a cervical spine MRI.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Re: Weird "Humming" in Spine

Hi ,

I am interested to hear of your term humming as I started this in Feb 05 till now and it felt like a reverbation but humming is more accurate. I felt like I was leaning on a piece of equipment or something. I had acdf Nov 03 c5 6 and am doing 50% better and SOOOO happy as I can attest to the incredilbe pain and need to be stoic but cry on my own feeling.

I have had l5 s1 microdiskectomy but am awaiting a disk shrinkage procedure for my low back. I am anxious to see if this works for me.

Meanwhile I went to Chiro and told him of it and I didn't tell him how heavy my felt on my neck. So he assessed me and said my skull was pretty much jammed on my neck and the particular axles or ligaments wore off alignment and not allowing a proper rotation.

He said I would probably get all kinds of occipital and strange occurences as the disc above compensates for the stress and the bulge I already had below would trigger these.

So i had him adjust me. I have a lot faith as he was the one who diagnosed me four years ago and directed me and got me to a better surgeon than my gp and gave me exercises and hope to be proactive with my pain.

So that Humming I had went away after my adjustment after three months of that wierd feeling off and on and today it came back slightly after overdoing it...clearly it is correlated.

So don't despair... I have had shooting eye pain that I dealt with and was remedied after removing the disc.

Read Paula Abdul's short article in People this month and see how much undiagnosed chronic pain people deal withand find someway to anticipate the pain and head it off if possible. Good luck and thanks for your discussion of this as I am relieved to hear that I am not alone with that wierd sensation and glad to have a more descriptive word to describe it.

Closed Thread