It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• T7/t8 Herina

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
    troyofapex

troyofapex HB User
    T7/t8 Herina

Mri Showed Cord Being Pressed Dorsal And Lat By Herina Disc,in T-7/t-8 Area, Being Told Major Problem, Pain Yea, Use To That, Need Advice On Should Get Operation, Told Its A Big Undertaking And Long Recovery, Told If Disc Moves Any Farther Risk Sever Cord, Loss Of Use T7 And Down, Anyboby Heard Of Such A Thing, I Have Mri Report And Film Report Has Some Very Big Words I Still Dont Understand , Even After Meeting With Ortho Surgon, Unsure What To Do, Hve Been Working Job But Told To Stop Due To Risk Of Perminent(sp) Injuryaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh Its A Little Scary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
    dezispec
    (male)

dezispec HB User
    Re: T7/t8 Herina

Thorasic is troublesome indeed. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the spinal cord. Share some of the big words and there are a multitude of very knowledgeable people on these boards that could really help out.

My best wishes to you.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
    blossom64
    (female)

blossom64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyofapex
    Mri Showed Cord Being Pressed Dorsal And Lat By Herina Disc,in T-7/t-8 Area, Being Told Major Problem, Pain Yea, Use To That, Need Advice On Should Get Operation, Told Its A Big Undertaking And Long Recovery, Told If Disc Moves Any Farther Risk Sever Cord, Loss Of Use T7 And Down, Anyboby Heard Of Such A Thing, I Have Mri Report And Film Report Has Some Very Big Words I Still Dont Understand , Even After Meeting With Ortho Surgon, Unsure What To Do, Hve Been Working Job But Told To Stop Due To Risk Of Perminent(sp) Injuryaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh Its A Little Scary
    I have the same herniation, spinal cord compression. Had one neurosurgeon tell me that I had about as much chance of being paralyzed as he does, ha! The Ortho he worked with said the opposite, that I had a serious chance of being paralyzed with or without surgery, what a choice huh?

I know how serious the surgery is, I have read on it and seen a very few people with T7-8 surgery. It's intense, cracked ribs, move and deflate a lung, move heart and internal organs aside for surgey. After surgery, in intensive care for about 3 days.

Unlike lower thoracic surgeries, it's about the worst spot to have herniation, it's directly behind the diaphragm, and the abdominal cavity and spinal canal all in a very enclosed small space. Very heavy duty. I decided to wait until minimally invasive surgery is the norm for this herniation surgery. My Ortho who did my L4-5 fusion said he won't touch it, and he's one of the best in the s.e. He said the minimally invasive surgery doesn't have a proven track record yet..... so I wait, and wait......

I share your pain. Hurts to breathe, taking deep breaths is agony, upper back feels like it can't support itself, I get migraines from muscles spasming, back out of alignment all the time. My massage therapist gives me some minor relief with pressure points, and chiro does the same, very minor relief.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
    lee6kids

lee6kids HB User

Hi Troyofapex
    I too have a thoratic herniation but mines one up at T6/7, Yes I too am pretty new to this and only found out my results on the 14th of this month. Ask everyone here as much as u want as they will give all the help and adivce they can, they have been great for me.
    I too got a shock when I found out I cound end up paralised if the problem is not seen too and you do something to your back. I am unsure about the whole surgery thing but have read it is a very big procedure and not sure I want to go through it either.
    So I guess all in all its a bit scary to start with, for me it was anyway. I still shed the odd tear at times of frustration and pain and say why me.
    But anyway enough babble from me.
    Ask as many questions as u want, research about it and take care.
    All the best
    Lee

Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

I also have the cord comp. at the T7-8 and know and understand your fear and concern I have sent my film and reports to several of the top NS and none recommend surgery for me as they say it is to dangerous, I can't give you any advice you haven't already got and quitcook covered it all very well, just know you aren't as alone as it seems.
    Thoughts and prayers to you.
    Linda

Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
    troyofapex

troyofapex HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyofapex

Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
    troyofapex

troyofapex HB User

lets see the mri shows t7/t8 moderate size dorsal left paracentral disc herniation or focal extrusion is present, the doctors and long words, what this means to me?? uhhh. i got a bump on my electral cord and its causing some untended side effects, the problem is has anyone had this and if so is it a problem because the reply i got from surgon still confused me

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
    LostT7
    (male)

LostT7 HB User

Well been there done that....T7 blew out on me and pieces of the disc pushed on my spinal cord. After seeing many Doctors and most afraid to touch it i did find a one to operate on it. This Guy went in on my r/t side splitting my ribs apart to get to it and removed a 1/3 of the disc to get it off my spinal cord.
    After all that and over a year later i still have back pain in the same area.Not as bad as it was and im off all Meds. But now live with a good foot of scar and my ribs have yet to heal 100% It did stretch some nerve that wraps around my bottom rib in the front causing it to have no feeling to the touch and is still hurts to poke or rub that area. The recovery is slowwww. The Doc. released me to full duty at work but i do find it hard to do regular things in my life. Im finding out that the surgery was not 100% cure for T7 blow out. Like my Doc. says live with it...<--Nice. Now im missing part of the disc and the rest is flat and dead. I did ask him in the future what do i expect, well he says i have a crack in my main foundation. Good to know i feel it. Good luck to all that have this prob.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
    larry81
    (male)

larry81 HB User

i'm amazed to find some many of us with thoracic herniations. i have been a lurker but wanted to chime in. according to everything i read, the doctors make you think its impossible to have.
    i had whiplash 5 years ago. i basically had to beg the dr to take an mri or the thoracic in addition to the cervical spine. sure enough i had many herniations in both. went from dr to dr and finally gave up. after about 10 months the pain was liveable and life was ok. couldnt carry too much. then last month, now 4 years later, All the pain and buzzing started again. cant lift anything now. i went to 2 neurosurgeons who said no to operating on the thoracic and i understand why. Since i have t7-8, t8-9, and t11-12 issues, i guess you have to crawl into their offices before they will recommend surgery.
    at least one of them recommended operating on c5-6 since that was also herniated. he said he recommended that since the thoraic can not cause arm pain. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
    robertwr7
    (male)

robertwr7 HB User

Hello, I have the same problem. Terrible pain and taking morphine which is not helping. I am looking into Laser surgery. This is minimal evasive and short recovery. But the one surgeon I spoke with never performed surgery that high in the thoracic spine. Still looking for a doctor. Try the Spinal Laser Institute in Florida. That is my next call. I may go on disability because of the pain.
    Good luck. Let me know here how you make out.

Last edited by robertwr7; 10-24-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
    mcmanic
    (male)

mcmanic HB User

i've discovered that i have a disc bulge out towards and into my spine on T7 - T8 area, also the fluid has turned to bone and been told hi-risk surgury or be wheelchair paralizied for rest of live as symptoms get worse. My pain is bad pins and needless and cannot walk very well at all with bad left hand pain on left side last rib area. Taking Tramdol 1x100mg twice a day 212 hour release, 600mg of Pregabalin a day and Oramorph for breakthrough pain when i over do it. Also notice that bladder control is slowly getting worse. Seriously don't know if i could withstand the OP or just let nature take it's course and still be around for my family. Seeing cardio people to ask if my hurt can withstand the op due to heart attack 1 year ago and further stents 6 months ago. Been really a crap year TBH

Last edited by mcmanic; 10-25-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
    swampoak
    (male)

swampoak HB User

Doesn't sound too good especially the part about the herniation pressing on the cord. I also have a T7-8 herniation (11mm). It was diagnosed back in May. I thought I was having a heart attack and ended up in the emergency room. Went to chiropracter--and finally an orthopedic who scheduled an MRI.
    Had 2 epidural spine injections--didn't help--had 6 weeks of physical therapy--didn't help--had traction--didn't help. I've taken Ultram, Lyrica, Neurontin etc. The only thing that helps is Percocet. The doc finally ordered another MRI a month ago and the T7-8 had grown from 1 cm to 11 mm. I also had a new 6 mm herniation at
    T8-9 and a bilateral protrusion at T9-10. I was referred to a surgeon who stated " herniations are only water, they will go away on their own". My pain is directly related to how much I do. If I drive for more than 10 minutes, I will have muscle spasms when I get out of my truck. Pain is worst in the afternoon and evening. I am OK walking for 30 minutes. Still have stabbing and burning in my back and left rib area and sternum. I am a carpenter and can't lift more than 20 pounds, but my doc told me to go back to work. I am getting another opinion this Wednesday.

It's easy to get discouraged when there is no real progress. Good luck!

Last edited by swampoak; 11-16-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
    CelticBlueFox
    (female)

CelticBlueFox HB User
    Smile Re: T7/t8 Herina

I have been suffering from a t8 disk rupture that happened on the weekend before memorial day 2009. I was in very bad pain. The pain started in the middle of my back around my shoulder blades and ran down and around my rib cage and in the center of my cest. I was not able to see a nerosurgoen for a month. My doctor had me on 2 vicodin every night and that did not cut my pain. So then he put me on perocet which worked much better. But with the long wait the put me on oxycotton witch after 3 day made me sick. The doctor also hooked me up with a Tens unit for the pain during the day so I could still functin at work. So finally I meet with the NS and they refer me to pain management. That team is great. The set me up for a nerve block it was like heaven after it was all done. But it only lasted a month. I was told you can only have 3 of these. So then I get set up for a second one with trigerpoint injections for the muscle. Yet again I was doing great. I am now readly for more. My insurance only covers 20 physical theropy session per year. The massage theropy did not do much. Then they put me on the Medex program with special weights that work the neck and middle back muscle. Along with using the regular gym weights. When my physical theropy ran out I purchase an in home gym. I do 2 reps of 15 Shoulder raises, 2 reps of 15 pull downs, 2 reps of 15 rows. I have found the at home theropy that PT gave me with the bands to work one side at a time was not effective. For the T8 area I have found that I need to work both sides of the body at the same time. This seems to stretch everything out and the pain goes away after I have done these. I am only to do them every other day though. The relief I get from doing this is great. But short term like everything else. I also now rubb in with Peppermint oil everynight. This seem to sooth the pain a bit.
    At work my arms, hands and but go numb when drawing and typing.When I sleep I get very bad muscle spasm in my back and legs. I am on muscle relaxers on my bad pain nights. My plan is to next try ccupuncture /accupressure to see if it will help any. Now days I am willing to try anything. I have a four year old son that loves to play on the floor with my and I am doing everything I can to be with him playing. I breaks my heart to read so many people going throught the same thing I am. So I know everyones bodies are different but I hope I can guide you to some relief with this information or ask your doctors more questions on what you are unsure of. I am currently working with 7 medical professional to help me get better. It take alot of team work. So hang in there everyone my thought are with you all.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
    mcmanic
    (male)

mcmanic HB User

latest update from earlier post:

Doctor arranged appointment to see a Cardiologist about my heart and if it could withstand the op and if comming of plavix (blood thinners) would be bad for my stents of which one had restenosis (closed up) which meant i had a a restenting inside a stent last May - which obviously to any normal human being would be a major factor in making a decision in all this hence i wanted striaght answers......

well i got an appointment but 6 days before i go i got another letter saying they had canceled it??, said a letter had been sent to my doctor explaining. So after a doctors appointment i have found out that basically they told me and the doctor to (insert swear word here) and not to bother them unless i go through proper channel procedure's??? and that according to my cardio that unless i was actually sufferring from any more problems then according to him i'm fixed - neither mind the fact i have on going heat diesese which is being treated with drugs to help keep it at bay.

Anyways this has made me angry and upset that i cannot actually talk to someone face to face to advise me yes i should go with my T7/T8 surgery or it's in my best interest and wouldn't be advisable due to heart issue's. I only wanted a chat?, clam my fears, maybe get an answer or two from the people who actually might know. Now i'm more cheesed of than before!

Closed Thread