It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• could this be arachnoiditis??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
    tracer
    (male)

tracer HB User
    Question could this be arachnoiditis??

hi my name is tracey im a 38 yr old male and i would like to share my story and symptoms with this bord.i understand that i cant be dianiasoed on a fourm but would like any advise that can be given.

i was injured at work aug10,04.i ruptured at L5,S1 mri showed a 6mm rupture against the center right spinal nerve,per mri report.i had never had any back problems or any other injuries never even a broken bone.it was a couple of mounths before w/c doc ask for a mri and refeered me to a spine center.i had bad back and leg pain.once at spine center doc suggest a esi and stated he wanted to try up to 3 injections.i had 2 with no help at all and before my third i had got so bad with my leg he sent me to a nero in the same center.i under went a lamenectomy/desectomy on jan6,05.after surgery my leg hurt very very bad but seemed to calm down in a couple of weeks.
    i started pt 4 wks post-op and already notcied somthing was wrong my lower leg and foot hurt bad when walking.theripest assured me it was normal.i finished my pt with little improvement.on feb 11 i decied to go to the mall to walk some after walking a short distance i hurt so bad i could hardly stand it. i called nero and got early appt he scheduled a post-op mri.the nero stated all looks good u just have a good bit of scarring.well i stayed at home til next appt and doc said i think ur doing good lets try u back at work.i am a desil mechanic.so i agreed and went to work the next day i hadnt been on my feet 10 minutes till my lower leg and the top of my foot started burning and hurting,i hoped it would pas but it only got worse.i couldnt get in to see nero for 3 days so i kept going to work with horried back pain and lower leg and foot pain.by the third day i couldnt walk and was about to lose my mind from pain.i got back to doc and he said its just the scar tissue and give me a steriod pac and took me back off work.
    the steriod pac didnt help at all and on next visit he said we need to try a nerve block.the nerve block stopped my leg,foot and lower back pain for 3 days then it came back.when i went back last time nero said its just really bad scar tissue and i had a failed back surgery.he said he wanted another mri but w/c may not aprove.he also stated that no more could be done but to get me help with pain and a disibility rateing.i have been on 7.5 lortab through this all.

my symptoms are bad lower back pain,lower leg burning pain from base of calf down to heel and on top of foot while walking.while at rest my lower leg just tingles and feels fuzzy,at times it feels like ants r crawling up my leg.and some times it seems like there is a frog in the bottom of my foot hopping.the pain walking is mostly in my lower most right leg.some times it feels as if i have a rock sticking into my heel but not all the time.i have no pain to the touch.

thank you for ur replies in advance:

god bless u all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
    poohbearboise
    (male)

poohbearboise HB User
    Re: could this be arachnoiditis??

My doctor never used the term "arachnoiditis". He just called it "failed back surgery". If you've read other articles from ***** they will tell you that doctors never use the "a" word for fear of being sued. I didn't know the severe pain in my back, hips, and leg(to the floor) was caused by arachnoiditis until a physicians assistant showed me the x-ray and told me that was what it was. That was 2 years after the surgery. Don't expect them to use the "a" word right away. But your symptoms sound like mine but all you can do is get the pain treatment. What it's called doesn't really matter anymore.

Closed Thread