It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical radiculitis-lots of questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
    eva73
    (female)

eva73 HB User
    cervical radiculitis-lots of questions

I was recently diagnosed with cervical radiculitis 18 months after the car accident that caused it. I have a few questions that my doctor doesn't seem to have time to answer. Can this condition lead to short term memory loss? Hand cramping? Can it be progressive? How bad can it get? Can I still go whitewater rafting if I feel up to it, or would that cause further injury? Any answers would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    Re: cervical radiculitis-lots of questions

hand cramping - yes it could cause this depending on which level its at - hunt about the web and you'll find charts that show which cervical levels affect which muscle groups and dermatomes (areas of sensation on the skin).

memory loss - haven't heard of this as a side effect of cervical problems problems before.

radiculopathy often resolves on its own over time, but it can also be a bit up and down and get worse - pretty much a case by case thing. Cord compression (myelopathy) is more likely to be progressive than radiculopathy is my understanding.

In relation to the activities you can undertake probably best to check with your surgeon/doctor - would depend on how bad the nerve root compression is and other symptoms.

I've met three people that have had quite bad radiculopathy that eventually resolved on its own (took up to a year in two cases). But there's others (and plenty on here) that have eventually had surgery for it.

What are your main symptoms and which level is the radiculopathy at?

Old 05-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
    eva73
    (female)

eva73 HB User

Not sure of the level...how would I find that out?

Symptoms include burning in upper back; pain, numbness, tingling in left shoulder, arm, hand and fingers. The hand cramping is a new thing.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

Have you had an MRI scan? This should show which level you have pinched nerve roots. If you haven't had an MRI its probably a good idea so you know where the problems are.
    Are the symptoms all on the one side?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
    eva73
    (female)

eva73 HB User

Yes, I've had an MRI---I forget if the doc said C5-C6 or C6-C7. I was too blown away the he said the problem was in my neck. I had been betting on thoracic outlet syndrome or something.

Symptoms are mostly on the left side. I think I'm starting to feel it on the right, but not sure if it's my imagination.

Closed Thread