It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• question on bone spurs/osteophytes in my cervical region m

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
    Question question on bone spurs/osteophytes in my cervical region m

my xrays revealed the development of c4, c5 and c6- which I fractured 18 years ago having bone spurs on the outside where the nerve comes out. I know its the kind of thing that can happen with age, but can it lead to arm pain and numbness, can it impinge on the nerve roots. He implied it could and then acted like it was no big deal. Plus he mentioned narrowing between those same discs. I had an mri and get results probably tuesday. Just want to know the right questions to ask. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: question on bone spurs/osteophytes in my cervical region m

Many people have abnormal findings in their c-spine as they get older, the main question in your case is are you having problems such as pain or weakness and if so, are the symptoms you're experiencing related to the changes you have on CT scan/MRI. That's probably the first thing I would ask in your situation. If you are having problems and they can be explained by imaging then your next question is what can be done (if anything) and what are your alternatives. A lot will depend on how bad your symptoms are. You might also want to find out what would happen if you don't do anything.
    Hope this helps, let us know how you do.
    W

Old 05-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
    Unhappy Re: question on bone spurs/osteophytes in my cervical region m

Thanks wimpette, yes I am having arm pain and numbness which is part of why he did the test. I also had an mri which I hope to have results on tomorrow. Its funny, because osteophytes seem to be part of aging, they seem to think its not a big deal but my arms hurt and after a day at work, they are numb!

Closed Thread