It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Arnold's Chiari Decompression Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
    Lupus904
    (female)

Lupus904 HB User
    Arnold's Chiari Decompression Surgery

Hello, my 10 year old daughter had Arnold's Chiari Decompression surgery back in February and she did have a lot of complications but now she is doing better. I was wondering has anyone else had this surgery or know of someone who has had it? Also, What they or the person they know went through and how did it affect them after about 3to 5 months after the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
    TRIPSN1

TRIPSN1 HB User
    Re: Arnold's Chiari Decompression Surgery

I had decompression surgery for Arnold Chiari I Malformation in 1994. I did very well although it was a difficult recovery. I did have alot of pressure like pain for awhile, but within 3-4 months I did not have any pain or discomfort.

I also have syringomyelia, so some of the symptoms are now probably related to that, but I have done really well from the surgery for the Chiari. If your daughter does not have any other related conditions she should do very well. I hope she is feeling better, and getting stronger and stronger everyday.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Arnold's Chiari Decompression Surgery

I have heard of a chiari but don't really know just exactly what it is.Could one of you please enlighten me?Is it like some sort of a lesion in the cord or something?Thanks,Marcia

Old 06-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Wink Re: Arnold's Chiari Decompression Surgery

feelbad ~

Here you go.

What is a Chiari Malformation?
    Chiari Malformation Type I (CM) is a neurological disorder where part of the brain, the cerebellum (or more specifically the cerebellar tonsils), descends out of the skull into the spinal area. This results in compression of parts of the brain and spinal cord, and disrupts the normal flow of cerebrospinal fluid (a clear fluid which bathes the brain and spinal cord).

Shirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Closed Thread