It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sprained Thoracic Spine Ligaments

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
    queenbluebee
    (female)

queenbluebee HB User
    Question Sprained Thoracic Spine Ligaments

Anyone know the fast way to heal a sprained thoracic spine ligament or remedies to decrease the pain without constant use of prescription drugs?

The docs says I'm suffering from this as a result of the two seizures I had. They prescribed me muscle relaxers and vicodin (which does nothing for me, except for knocks me out) and I have a one week old newborn to care for.

If anyone can offer more helpful advice or remedies I would really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: Sprained Thoracic Spine Ligaments

It might be worthwhile going to a physical therapist who can massage the area, apply heat and/or cold and give you some exercises to help take the edge off things. Using either heat or cold (or alternating) can also help. It must be very difficult with a newborn to care for but a physical therapist can also help guide you in ways of picking up your baby without causing further pain or injury.
    W

Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

If it's torn on the ends then you may want to read about Prolotherapy. I'd suggest searching for Ross Hauser. He is an MD that uses many natural therapies and wrote Prolo Your Pain Away. I've read everything I can on the subject. His clinic is called Caring Medical. There are not that many Doctors who have training in this area. Most MD's who do this procedure do it because it has worked for them. There is Dr. Darrow in Los Angeles and Dr. Matson in San Diego. Both MD's. If the tear is in the middle then it won't help. Prolothereapy is also not done for usually 8 weeks to make sure the body has time to heal itself. It involves injections so the procedure isn't painless but it doesn't take long. I wanted to have it done but I was told by the Dr. I saw for it that I was not a candidate. I may still try it if everything else fails. It's a well documented therapy in terms of safety - then needle to the bone (junction of ligment and bone) before injecting. It however is one of those therapies that Allopathic Medicene will pooh pooh away becaues it is "not proven" by double blind placebo studies. But you have to ask yourself this question: If I am in excruciating back pain am I going to sign up for a placebo study? Hardly!

Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

I always forget something I intend to say. Research Montmorency Cherry Juice (Basially Pie Cherries). I borrowed this:

Medical research has shown Tart Cherries to contain anti-inflammatory compounds. Many people are reporting arthritis, gout and fibromyalgia relief from taking Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate. One of the most researched aids for GOUT is Cherries. GOUT is caused by the build up of uric acid in the blood stream and eventually the joints. Gout is a type of arthritis (inflammation of the joints) that mostly affects men age 40 and older. It is nearly always associated with an abnormally high concentration of uric acid in the blood. Uric acid is produced in the liver and enters the bloodstream. Under certain circumstances, the body produces too much uric acid or excretes too little. As uric acid concentrations increase, needle like crystals of a salt called monosodium urate (MSU) form. In time, MSU crystals accumulate and cause inflammation and pain, symptoms typical of gout. Cherries contain flavonoid compounds that can lower uric acid and reduce inflammation, so cherry juice concentrate can be effective in reducing the pain associated with gout. Recent studies also show that the antioxidant compounds in Cherries may be 10 times stronger than Aspirin or Ibuprofen in relieving arthritic pain. In addition, Tart Cherries contain Melatonin which helps with the body's sleep rhythms and Perillyl alcohol, thought to shut down the growth of cancer cells by depriving them of the proteins they need to live.

I have read the clinical research I could find online. And I thought "why not try it". And I did. And it really does help. I take it before bedtime to help with sleep too. It's not the rapid rush you get from a Drug but it does help me some. And because it's food seems to have ZERO side effects. Unless you have a really weak stomach I can see no downside. I use a brand that you can get at Krogers in the Midwest - brownwoodacres, buy it in concentrate form (to keep the sugar content down). This is NOT a plug for that company, there are other brands, I have tried the ready made Knudsen and it seems to do the job as well. No quick fixes for ligaments they have to go through the healing process. I would see the PT, and recommend massage therapy as well. My massage thereapist makes me feel good for a couple of hours.

Closed Thread