It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Broad -based disc protrusion of C6-7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Broad -based disc protrusion of C6-7

Can this be corrected non- surgically or maybe just go away. Is this a herniated disc? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User
    Re: Broad -based disc protrusion of C6-7

A disc protrusion at C6/7 is common, mine is completely flat, I didn't even know it until this year when the two discs above it herniated. C6/7 has a lot of pressure placed on it by BAD POSTURE. The head needs to be in alignment over the spine in order to be strong. Forward Head posture will cause the disc material to have too much pressure placed on it resulting in the material being pushed out. There is no surgery to correct a protrustion. You are lucky you know this, because if it is just at one level you can take precautions, make sure you have ergonimic computer workstaion, take lots of breaks from computer use, make sure you have the proper alignment in your automobile seating and eat right (I won't get into nutrition here other than you need plenty of water to keep your discs hydrated, and it doesn't hurt to supplement Fish Oil - make sure it's not contaminated with heavy metals). The Omega fats in fish oil are supposedly good for your discs. Also almost no one realizes this but if you do your reasearch you will learn that disc material starts degenerating between the 1st and 2nd decade of life. Once you reach 25 you are pretty much done with regard to discs. It's downhill from there. Take care of your spine and you will have a lifetime of use, don't and you'll have one disc break after the other. And it's not something they teach you in school. So the bottom line is fix your posture and diet, get a good nights rest every night and what ever you do DON'T SMOKE! Smoking destroys disc material, and there are very few spine surgeons who will even consider operating on a smoker. And it also doesn't hurt to figure out how to not worry or stress over things (I know that can be tough). Good luck to you, hopefully you won't end up like me with 3 herniated discs. All I had to do was fix my posture, but I didn't know and I had no warning until it was too late. Ask someone to look at your posture while seated watching TV, computer use, or whatever. "slouching" is death to the spine.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Re: Broad -based disc protrusion of C6-7

Thank you for responding. I just started pt. for neck and back exercises as I have lower back pain too. I'm 51 so I guess this can be expected. I am taking glucosimine, fish oil and do drink pleanty of water, but I need to quit smoking. Oh the benifits of aging- but look at the alternative. Thanks for the suggestions.

Closed Thread