It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• L2-3 Spondy Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User
    L2-3 Spondy Problems

OK, I don't have the reports in front of me, but here is what I remember..

Several years ago I went through a very intense bout of shooting pain and numbness on my backside and down my legs. After many doctor visits and test, I finally was diagnosed with bilateral pars defect at L2 and L3. Flexion/Extension films were done at this time and showed good stability in the area and little slippage. So does the term spondylolysis describe the situation?

At the time I was sent to a very good physical therapist who taught me stretches and exercises that basically eliminated pain from my life. I am now here 3 years later in a perplexing situation. I've lost about 70 pounds from that time and am in much better shape. Suddenly I am having odd problems never really encountered before. I am getting random pain in my left leg...top of calf, top of hamstring, groin, it just jumps around. It feels much more like localized pulled muscles rather than the firey burning of sciatica. The pain is barely worth taking an Ibuprofen over, but there nonetheless. I've noticed when I walk my left foot is now pointing slightly outward and I find myself standing with the foot perpendicular to the other one for no reason. Also my right leg, where I've never had much pain or problems, has become numb on the upper part of front of the thigh. This is my main concern.

From my reading, the numbness corresponds to the femoral nerve, and I understand that the femoral nerve originates in L2-L3 area, correct? So I need to see my doctor and have another round of films to see what's going on in this area, right? In reading, I also found that the sciatic nerve originates in/around L4/L5. If that's the case and nothing was ever found at this level, why did I have pain then and some additional discomfort now? Anyone know of possibilities or scenarios where this could be possible? Could the problem which was described to me as involving L2-L3 only, and all other levels seemed fine in XRay, MRI, CT, etc, also have some effect on the sciatic nerve? The docs aren't able to see me for a couple days, and I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what is going on and what to be asking when I go....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
    tammq

tammq HB User
    Re: L2-3 Spondy Problems

Nixona: I have a grade 4 spondy of the L5 S1 region. I have Moderate narrowing of the L4-5 disc space -The L4-5 level demonstrates a diffuse annular disc bulge-Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis- on L5 S1 moderate narrowing of the thecal sac and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. What does all this mean? I have a sever spinal deformity- which leaves me in constant pain. I have the pain the runs from my butt to the soles of my feet, it's achy, and constant. I also have tingling on the backs of my legs into the soles of my feet. I've been told this is permenant nerve damage. The L5 nerve is pinched and needs to be "freed". I have only one option, and thats spinal fusion. My slip is 85%-----which means I'm a huge liability to any surgeon at this point, and noone is willing to take the leap. I'd have more testing if I were you.

Closed Thread