It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• vivatek treatments

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User
    vivatek treatments

Vivatek makes a piece of equipment that is supposedly designed to help heal the discs with soundwaves? Too good to be true? Looks great on paper. No idea how old this company is, I did a search online and there is not a lot of information on this equipment. It seems to be in use by some chiropracters.

Has anyone ever had these treatments and have they helped? I'm also considering Scenar Treatments, anyone had those?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: vivatek treatments

90% of cervical discs resolve without treatment and I personally am suspicious of claims of sucess with various modalities because the odds are good that things will improve with time in the majority of people.

I've had both cervical and lumbar problems. The lumbar problems were 18 years ago with a massive disc herniation at one level and major protrusion at another. After a few weeks of severe pain. a short blast of steroids (which I was very reluctant to use) and PT and exercise, things gradually resolved. I never had surgery in spite of a horrendous looking lumbar mri and ct.

I was less fortunate with my neck and did my best to avoid surgery. The fact that I had significant weakness did not affect my decision to avoid surgery and I tried many true and tested ways. Unfortunately I ended up in the 10%. Because the statistics are so much in favor of improvement (even weakness resolves without surgery and good pt in most patients) I am personally reluctant to consider other modalities unless there is good evidence in peer reviewed literature studying several thousand patients that it really works and the expense is worth it.

Hopefully, as you have every intention of avoiding surgery, nature will take care of things and a good physical therapist and exercise regimen will do the rest.

Good luck,
    W

Old 08-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Vivatek is a non invasive piece of equipment. So I don't worry about studies. Every company doesn't have millions to get FDA approval and peer review studies. If it were going inside my body I would be more concerned. But while we wait for all these studies and tests, there may be things that could have cured us. There is nothing certain in life, look at all the drugs that had peer reviewed studies and failed and killed people. I agree it would be nice to have more studies, but at the same time what person in their right mind suffering from pain and agony is going to volunteer to be a guinea pig in a double blind placebo study? And why should we place so much trust in "peer reviewed" studies, when the United States no longer has the best health care systems. There is so much going on around the world that we don't see for years and years. Yes maybe we could be hurt, but we could also be saved. There are 300 million Americans and 5 Billion Chinese. They have doctors too and they have spinal problems, yet they use different treatments. Who is right? The treatment that works is the treatment that is right.

So if anyone has experience with VivaTek please post.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

Part of the nice things about these boards is being able to gather a variety of opinions from which you can base your own. While it is obvious you have strong opinions I am frankly surprised at the argumentative tone of your response. I did not knock alternative remedies that are widely used such as acupuncture or even mention tried and tested remedies available worldwide.

If you read things properly you will see I am all for trying things first, and strongly resent the tone of your response. It seems as if you've already decided what to do, rather than ask and then criticise the response I would suggest contacting vivatek and having them put you directly in contact with their patients, especially long term successes.
    W

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Please keep posts on Topic. If you actually have experience with Vivatek then post, if not then please don't post. Opinons and statistics about getting better over time don't matter. Specific experience with treatment with this modality is what I would like to hear about. My posts are not meant to offend people, but I'm looking for relevancy to the topic at hand. Thanks

Closed Thread