It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Tingling in fingers and toes...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
    Kiana

Kiana HB User
    Tingling in fingers and toes...

For the past few months I've been experiencing fluttery, tingling sensations like a light buzz of electricity in my fingers and toes, (many times daily) as well as occasionally in my lips and tongue. I saw a neurologist recently, and he did a test to see if my nerve pathways were interrupted. Turns out, I'm in great shape in that area. No problems. So he basically said my symptoms are very vague and impossible to measure, so there's not much they can do. He DID order an MRI for me, saying I could have the test if I wanted, more or less to rule out the small possibility of something serious... for my own peace of mind. However, I have my doubts about the safety of MRI's, and would rather not have one.

I'm in great health and have no other problems other that this. Incidentally, about 8 years ago I went through about a 2-year period of experiencing these same sensations. They gradually went away, but now are back. Has anyone else here experienced something like this? I'm wondering if it's just my back--I have a chronically "uncomfortable" back. Any ideas??

Kiana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Tingling in fingers and toes...

I would highly suggest that you do have that MRI.There has to be some sort of reason for your tingling.this could something wrong in your c spine or even the brain.An MRI would at least be able to rule in or rule out spinal cord problems in most cases.Having a neg nerve conduction study really does not mean that you do not have something wrong somewhere.That just tells you that you do not have any nerve damage.Get that MRI and go from there.Please keep us posted on what it says.marcia

I just wanted to add that I have had a total of nine MRIs done on my body,mostly the c spine area and have absolutely no problems at all from them.They really are quite safe.You just have to make sure that you have no metal on you before you have the test.

Last edited by feelbad; 08-15-2005 at 06:58 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
    Kiana

Kiana HB User

Thanks for the replies! I guess I am being a little paranoid about the MRI. It's just that on the form I had to fill out at the neurologist it asked:

Have you EVER had metal in your eye?

I worked on a construction site for about 3 years, and remember getting something in my eye several times. So I'm a little scared that there might be some little piece of metal in my eye that I don't even know about.

AND...

All these weird symptoms I've had, mostly 8 years ago, but now more recently for the past couple months, COULD possibly be symptoms of mercury poisoning. (long story.. but there are several ways I could have got this while living out of the country 8 years ago) So if that IS the case, could the MRI somehow react to the mercury in my body? What exactly does "ferrous metal" in the body mean?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Not really sure about all of your questions.The best thing would be to actually talk with a radiologist at the place where you would go if you had one done,ask your doc to tell you.Or you can always opt for a CT it is totally non reactive to anything, really.It would give you a start at least.it is not however quite as good as having an MRI.i would thing that they would be able to somehow test for metels in the eye.not too sure about if the merc would be a problem.Very good quetion though.one i would never have thought to ask.You really do need some answers here before you actually DO anything with regard to an MRI.Please let me know just what those answers are i really am curios about them now.lol.good luck and please let me know how things are going,K?Marcia

Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
    dmiller
    (male)

dmiller HB User

Ferrous metals are or contain iron and are magnetic. Mercury is considered non-ferrous, meaning it would be unaffected by magnets (and an MRI.) As for getting metal in the eye, this happened to me a couple years ago. While grinding a ferrous metal I did get some in my eye, despite wearing protective eyewear, and had to visit an emergency room. The doctor stated he believed he got all of it out. About a week later the pain came back. Upon visiting a reputable eye surgeon, it turns out that all of the metal was not removed and rust had started to form in my eye which subsequently had to be scraped out. I believe if you did have metal in your eye from more than a few weeks ago, it would have presented by now. However it is my understanding that if it is a concern, they can x-ray them to be sure. Hope this eases your mind somewhat, at least about the MRI. But as previously stated I believe you should always voice all concerns, be it to the doctor or the radiology personnel.

Closed Thread