It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF tips and flying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
    frank0678
    (male)

frank0678 HB User
    Post ACDF tips and flying

Hi,

I have been posting and asking questions for some time now. My doctor and I have exhausted all non-surgical options and I am now scheduled for surgery on Aug 24. My surgery is a one level ACDF at c6-7. There is a spur that will be removed as well. I will have donor bone and a plate and screws.

My questions are more about post-surgery. I have a speaking engagement scheduled for Oct 11 (a 4-hour lecture in NYC and I live in Raleigh, NC). Any advice on whether this is too soon at 7 weeks? I realize everyone is different, but just want to hear your thoughts.

Also, any tips on how to make the recovery better would be appreciated. These Boards are great and I have already learned a lot from reading previous threads.

Thanks, Frank

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: Post ACDF tips and flying

Hi FRank,
    I flew to Europe less than four weeks after my ACDF and even did some hiking in France (another story and not to be recommended). You should have no problems flying but remember, you shouldn't lift any case into the overhead bin and the amount you can carry is limited, you might even find your laptop feels heavy so you need to make adjustments for that. Even if you are no longer wearing a collar I suggest taking and wearing your hard collar for the trip - not only as a protection in case of turbulence but also as a reminder to you of what you should and shouldn't do. It also engenders a lot of sympathy and means that people will be helpful with luggage etc. If you're only using a soft collar wear that.

When I woke up from my ACDF (had expected one level, woke up with two) I felt so much better than I'd done for months that the recovery process was relatively easy and pain free.

Good luck,
    W

Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
    frank0678
    (male)

frank0678 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I am amazed and impressed you were out hiking.

FYI, there is a possibility that I may have a two level ACDF, as the surgeon is somewhat worried about the c5-6.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

I would check with your surgeon whether he thinks you might have a two level fusion, if he plans a single level the likelihood is that is all you'll have. My surgeon doesn't even use a soft collar with a single level fusion (I strongly disagree with him as do some of his associates!) and certainly a hard collar seems somewhat excessive for a single level unless no plates are used. However all surgeons are different so make sure you are comfortable with all your options and post op instructions before surgery. My main caution to you is that if you feel as good as I did, the temptation will be to do too much too soon. I was walking four miles a day within three weeks which is ok and encouraged, but as I subsequently realised, anything more strenous was a big no-no
    All the best, sounds like you'll be well prepared.
    W

Closed Thread