It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• One Week Post-Op Three-Level ACDF - Off Vicodin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
    speli
    (female)

speli HB User
    Lightbulb One Week Post-Op Three-Level ACDF - Off Vicodin?

Hi all,

Today is my one-week anniversary from my surgery (ACDF - C4/5-C6/7 - Aug. 15, 2005)! Yippee!!!
    I had told my husband how very much I would like to fast-forward one week last Monday, and here we are already!
    It has been interesting to say the least.
    I think the pain is quite manageable with Vicodin, but I have found that going to Extra-Strength Tylenol doesn't seem to work nearly as well, especially at night.
    The numbness in my finger is still there, and I am all bruised up around the arms mostly. I find wearing a watch on my left wrist difficult...it feels like it constricts the wrist - maybe it's still swollen from the IV?
    Yesterday, my left arm felt just like it did about two or three weeks after I first injured my neck. It was very achy and pulling all the way down to my hand. I am hoping that is a good sign, i.e. reverse symptoms to nerve healing.
    Most of my discomfort right now is back lower neck/upper shoulder muscle tightness and pain.
    Also, the collar is driving me insane! It's so hot , and last night I cried because it feels like a prison (I have an Aspen collar and a Phila******a collar for showers). Any tips to make it feel less hot? Anybody try silk scarves, ice packs, anything?
    Finally, when were the rest of you worked-over "brides of Frankenstein"- what my son and daughter call me - (or their male equivalents) able to give up the narcotics pain killers and what did you switch to?
    I am nervous about creating an addiction, but I can't seem to sleep without Vicodin. I try to go without during the day (just Extra-Strength Tylenol).
    Any insights are appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
    dmiller
    (male)

dmiller HB User
    Re: One Week Post-Op Three-Level ACDF - Off Vicodin?

Hi Speli. Your sleeping sounds like me. Today is my 3 week post surgery one level ACDF C6-7. I'm guessing I am a little better off as it was only one level. However, so far your recovery sounds very similar to mine. Unfortunately, my second week was the hardest. That seems to be pretty common from what Iíve read. Unfortunately, I was unable to sleep without the assistance of a prescription. At my two week appointment however, I was taken off everything accept percocet only to be taken when needed. So far, since then I have only needed it a few times, and at that it was only one a day. The only problem sleeping now, is it is just plain uncomfortable. Not much pain at all.
    Something that I am finding that is strange is the collar. So many people seem to have hard collars that they have to wear 24/7 even with a one level, were as I only have this tiny soft collar which I am encouraged to remove as often as possible, while sitting only. For that I feel lucky, as I don't know how I would sleep in some of those bulky collars. I guess doctors just have different philosophies on recovery.
    All I can say is keep your chin up and before you know it, you'll be as good as new. Hot collar? What Hot collar?

Closed Thread