It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Lightning Bolts Zapping in Arm ....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
    MacG
    (male)

MacG HB User
    Lightning Bolts Zapping in Arm ....

Hiya,

got another question. I get these painful lightning bolts in my arm esp. the elbow to the fingers. I do not no if it is my imagination but when I move my arm (sideways or upwards) I feel like the zolts are more intense. Can this be cnx to my neck problem? Anyone else experienced this?

Ok, thanks again in advance.

Mac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    Re: Lightning Bolts Zapping in Arm ....

Are they a short sharp 'zap' that causes the muscle to jerk as well, or more like being plugged into an electric socket and getting a 'buzzing' down the arms.

In my arms at one stage I had a 'buzzing' down the arms from elbow to fingers when I tipped my head forward (flexion) - mainly the outer half of arm and outer fingers so possibly correlating to C8 nerve root mapping. The surgeon described it as L'hermittes - though I think this symptom can have different variations.

I also get sometimes when walking an electric shock like zap down my legs from knees to feet which is a short/sharp shock - a bit like a static electricity zap.

If your 'electric shock' can be brought on by tipping your head forward (chin to chest) then it sounds like L'hermittes sign.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
    MacG
    (male)

MacG HB User
    Thanks Rob ZZZ

You hit it right on the nail with your description. I have the buzzing down the arm from elbow to the 2nd,3rd,and 4th digits. Although, the electrical sensation is on the outer side of arm, I do get the buzzing if I just rub my arm. I will read about L'hermittes, thanks. Also, I wonder if the C8 is the culprit here. Could the C6-7 disk cause similar symptoms? Thanks for your time and hope you are doing better.

Mac

Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 AM   #4
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

I think this symptom (if it can be triggered by flexion of the neck) can be an indication of irritation of the cord rather than the nerve roots - I think I remember reading somewhere an idea that its possibly due to irritation of the dorsal part of the cord - which could be true in my case because I have mild cord compression and a narrow canal from c3-c6.

If you've got cord compression or canal stenosis then you could get symptoms anywhere from the affected levels and downwards.

Last edited by rob_zzz; 09-07-2005 at 04:12 AM.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it could be coming from the c 8 nerve or even the t1.The c 8 is a nasty area to have anything as it is kind of a 'junction' area where many nerves meet and pass and some even loop back into the head.I have extensive damage to this area and it has affected MANY different areas in some rather nasty ways.The ring and pinkie fingers and on up the arm generally corrolate to the c 8 nerve.Marcia

Old 09-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
    MacG
    (male)

MacG HB User
    Thanks, Feel Bad ...

I hope it is not the C8, however, nothing would suprise me anymore. I read about CTS and some of the symtoms were similar to mine. The big difference is that I get the zapping when I bend my neck either forward or backwards. Did you feel more zapping when lifting your arm?

Thanks for your help.

Mac

Closed Thread