It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Lamindectomy vs discotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #1
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Laminectomy vs discotomy

Hi -- I read this board pre-surgery and wanted to share my experience. I was diagnosed Aug 9 with moderate to severe stenosis C5-C7 and some stenosis C4. I had little to no pain -- presented with a gait problem since last November, some numbness and tremors so the diagnosis was somewhat of a shock, but as others have said - the neurologist warned of paralysis if I did nothing -- and I HAVE to walk properly.

We saw two neurosurgens and had the MRI's evaluated by an out-of-town neurosurgens - even saw a chiropractor - all said surgery and the sooner the better. We decided at my age (47) and good health that the laminectomy was the better way to go -- particularly with C4-C7 involved --perhaps a little harder to recover - but less long term problems and can always fuse later if needed.

Surgery was last Friday (Sept 2) - the doctor said all went as planned. I was walking to the bathroom by midnight post surgery. I went home on Sunday (they would have let me home Saturday, but I still felt shakey and I live over an hour from the hospital. Yesterday I started feeling "a lot" better -- I'm taking two-three vicadin a day and walking at 1/4 to 1/3 mile at least once a day. I'm very stiff accross the shoulders and I find it a bit difficult to sit and read (looking down) - but I can do this at the computer for brief periods of time.

My symptoms appear to be relieved - time will tell.

Advice to people out there - consider pros and cons of different options and to some extent to with "your gut feeling" -we didn't know a lot about this doctor, but it seems to have worked out well.

Last edited by sunshine221; 09-18-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User
    Re: Lamindectomy vs discotomy

Thanks for the info sunshine - are you saying even the gait problems seem to be improved since the surgery? If so thats very good news and must be a relief.

Rob.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Lamindectomy vs discotomy

Yes, the walking problem started before Nov 2004 with right arm and leg not swiing properly. While once somewhat of a power walker - I was ignoring the issue for quite a while. It was to the point of being a major effort to think about putting one foot in front of the other -- walking the half block from the parking garage to office was an effort. Post surgery - it's still hard to tell if I'm 100% (will probably need PT to retrain muscles) - but I can definitly tell that I'm not "thinking" about walking -- I will sometimes drag my foot a bit when I first get up -- but I've been walking 1/4 to 1/3 mile outside at least once a day and I try to increase it a bit each day - hopefully to a mile by my doctor visit next Friday -- because of the lamindectomy I don't have full movement accross my shoulder and back so it's hard to tell for sure - but I think the surgery was the right decision.

Closed Thread