It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5 Injury Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
    mfm24
    (male)

mfm24 HB User
    Question C5 Injury Questions

72 year old male family member was involved in automobile accident on 8/5/2005. Fracture at C 3,4 5 but we are told injury to cord is at C5. Does anyone have a link or links or books to recommend so we, the family can educate ourselves? For example, what are some standard treatments, what do we say to the patient, how do we motivate him? He is on a trach-vent and can not speak. As a result of fevers (some days spiking to above 103 F) which they were not able to locate a source he did not receive spinal fusion surgery. He did receive a internal pacemaker during a few days when he did not have a fever. His original injury was incomplete but now after reviewing new tests and the fact he has spinal stenosis the injury is more in line with a complete c5. He still has fevers which the first rehab place said they will not accept him with a fever. Is it to soon for Rehab? Can the fever with no cause last forever?

Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: C5 Injury Questions

So just what actual signs/symptoms is he actually showing so far?I suppose that is pretty hard to gage while he is still on a vent.does he indeed have/had some sort of an infection at some point?If not, i suspect that the fevers may well be stemming from the actual SCI,with direct damage to the spinothalamic tract that runs through the spinal cord itself.This tract carrys the pain signals to the brain receptors inside the brain,it helps you to differentiate hot and cold and the biggie(for him at least,with regard to the possible fever trigger)it also can have a direct affect on a persons body temp.my thalamic was severely damaged(along with a whole bunch or other crap inside the cord)and i ended up with central pain syndrome and also what is called brown-sequard syndrome just from the thalamic damage.my 'normal" temp is now way lower than it was before as well.and the really really suckiest part of this particular damged area is that all of my pain siganls are now constantly 'deranged" and very far from normal.
    if they cannot actually find the cause of the fevers,I am kind of suprised that they wouldn't just kind of 'assume" that this may indeed be the case and move him onto the rehab anyway.i mean realistically,the sooner you start rehab,the much better chance of recovering what is still possible.The longer the wait,the more permanent type of damage would be set in and then would be extremely hard if not impossible to actually recover it,you know?depending on just how really unstable his c spine actually is will realistically tell them when it is time for him to start rehab. when you are dealing with any sort of direct spinal cord injury,trust me, things are really sometimes totally unpredictable,in just about every way.i never know from one day to the next just exactly how my day will go as it appears that in some way all of my neuro status symptoms just keep changing or 'morphing' into something tht was either just not there the day before or was actually being felt in a totally different way than when I went to bed the night before.

i really think the best way to go here is to sit down with his docs,along with copies of all of his radiologic tests(like any MRIs and CTs,and i mean ALL of them starting with the initial CT that was done when he arrived at the ED right after the accident)make sure to get your own copies of all of these tests for yourself as well as you will really need to have them in order to do the best possible research,really,I have ALL of my medical files and reports on all of my medical issues.Then go over all of these results with his docs to ascertain the full extent of his actual damage.while it may actually "appear" that his injury is complete,there may be a very good chance that it actully is not,or at least not total.you really wont actually really know the full extent here til he becomes much more active and then starts rehab.sometimes,just actually getting into rehab can help to "retrigger" nerves that were "thought" to have been totally lost.but the thing is,quite frankly, the more time that passes without actually being in rehab, the more likely that anything that was possible to reobtain at the beginning may be lost.

You really need to find out the exact nature of his injuries in order to realistically do the best possible search for info and possible treatment options.once you actually have a much better idea of at least "some' of the damage,you can start the search by using some of those 'key words" that they are using in his reports and any comments made by his neuros about possible syndromes he may have.there are many many syndromes out there that are connected directly to the specific injury to a particular nerve or tract or even the sympathetic nervous system.my SNS was pretty significantly damaged too.this could also have an effct on his body temp as well as what I mentioned about that thalamic tract? knowledge IS indeed power when it comes to really trying to understand everything having to do with spinal cord injuries.There are just sooo many very strange and bizarre things that can result from any sort of injuries to the cord itself,really.since the surgery I had two years ago that actually caused all of my bizarre and extremely painful damage,my life has been just totally turned upside down completely.

i really hope he starts showing some more significant improvements soon and will be able to recover much more than what you are currently being told by his docs.just hang in there and if you have any more questions about this please don't hesitate to ask,K? good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread