It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Muscle Twitches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
    suebeehoneytree
    (female)

suebeehoneytree HB User
    Muscle Twitches

I was a passenger in a MVA almost one year ago. Due to both WC and Auto Ins being involved, it has been a mess. Everything is in the hands of my lawyer because neither wants approve what the neuro is recommending. He wants to do cervical facet injections and if that relieves the pain, surgery.

I've had the typical symptoms...lot's of pain, numbness (pinky & ring fingers mainly) shooting stabbing pains, headaches, etc.....

Well, for the last few weeks, I've had quite a bit of muscle twitching in various parts of my body. They've happened everywhere...arms, legs, torso, shoulders, and face. You can just sit and watch the muscle twitch. I called the neuro and talked with his PA and he said it can't be related to my cervical spine injury. I really want to talk to the Dr himself, but I always have to talk to the PA.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
    speli
    (female)

speli HB User
    Re: Muscle Twitches

Just to let you know:
    I had a three-level anterior cervical decompression and fusion one month ago today (C4/5 through C6/7), and I had muscle twitches in my left side (chest and back) for many months prior. This has now stopped.
    I would suggest this is very much related.
    Good luck getting the parties to agree!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

I had a lot of muscle twitching all over as well after my neck injury (which resulted in herniated c5/c6 disc with mild cord compression). The neuro would probably rule the facial twitches out as unlikely to be caused by cervical, but depending on the levels I think there are some cervical plexus nerves that exit from down to the c4 level, and there are also I believe there are parasympathetic nerves that branch from lower down than that (from around the c8 level).

Does your MRI show any cord compression?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

I also have c5 c6 c7 issues and i have a weird kinda twitch in my legs so i would say if the dr doesnt agree , get another opinion. it couldnt hurt! good luck with it...

Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
    suebeehoneytree
    (female)

suebeehoneytree HB User

Thanks for the responses. The dr. thinks there are some entrapped nerves, but the spinal cord compression is a mystery. I had an MRI quite a while ago, but it didn't show much as far as I know. My main problem is instability with my vertibrae which shows up in my flexation x-rays. 2 drs. missed this at first and had me doing therapy that made my condition worse. That's the reason I'm struggling so much with work comp. Their dr said I had an entrapped ulnar nerve and everything I was experiencing had nothing to do with the accident. You would think I could just turn everything over to the auto insurance since the woman who was driving was at fault and sited (she pulled out in front of a semi which hit right at my passenger door), but the auto insurance saying it's a WC issue until everything is taken care of and settled, then WC will get compensated from them. Anyway, enough of my complaining, I'd just like to get "fixed" and try and be somewhat the person I was before the accident.

Does anyone know what type of surgery I'm gonna need when this finally progresses? I think it will be some sort of fusion. The doc didn't explain much because he wants facet injections first to make sure that is my main cause of the pain. When I asked him what would happen if the injections helped, he said surgery, and I never asked any more questions (shock).

Take care and Thanks

Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

If there's instability I wouldn't have thought injections would help much and it would need to be stabilised - note sure how - maybe a collar or something to let it heal and stabilise depending on the cause of the instability, or alternately fusion surgery. The instability could also explain what appear to be cord compression/irritation symptoms because vertebrae moving about could cause dynamic compression and irritation of the cord.

Did they say what the cause of the instability was - who diagnosed it by the way? (was it a surgeon?).

What did the MRI report at the time say?

Closed Thread