It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5-6 Fusion & Discectomy - Allograph & Plating...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Wink C5-6 Fusion & Discectomy - Allograph & Plating...

Hello Everyone
    I had a Cervical Fusion & Discectomy with plating & allograph on level C5-6 on Monday. Unfortunately, the day after surgery I had what they think might be a panic attack. My throat closed up and I couldn't breathe. The nurses said that my sat oxygen level was at 82. They also did a chest x-ray right in my room and found out that I developed pneumonia. The following day after another chest x-ray, I was able to come home as I was feeling much better after all the meds. I still have to have another chest x-ray next week, but in the meantime, I am taking an antibiotics.

This surgery was less painful then my lumbar fusion. I am still in cervical pain, but on the scale I would say about a 5. I don't have any pain in my shoulders or arms but I did prior to surgery.

I have read on this board that members who have had this surgery, do a bed roll to get out of bed. Well, my surgeon or nurses never told me anything about this. I do remember having to do a certain roll to get out of bed for my lumbar fusion. Can anyone please explain to me how I am supposed to do this roll for my neck as I am afraid of doing any damage to my recovery. I don't see my surgeon again till Wednesday. Thank You.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy Scheduled - September 12, 2005

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User
    Re: C5-6 Fusion & Discectomy - Allograph & Plating...

Yo Jeanne

This is how I was told to get outa bed. Lie on side with knees bent. Have hand under head. Move legs so they hang bent over side of bed. Use elbow to pivot body to upright position whilst holding head in one position. Once sitting on side of bed stand up.

Cheers Hugo

Old 09-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Hugo
    Thank You very much for taking the time to explain to me how to get out of bed during my cervical fusion recovery. Sound very easy, but I am surprised that I couldn't figure it out without an explanation. Have a great day.
    Jeanne

Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
    I had an appointment with my neuro surgeon on Wednesday. He took of my bandaging and it seems as if my incision is healing very nicely. I do have a lot of swelling on both sides of the incision but dr. said is was normal. I was surprised that my incision is right on the crease of my neck, therefore is less noticeable. In the meantime I have to go for an x-ray within two weeks to check the fusion. I will keep you all updated on my progress.
    Jeanne

Old 09-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Hi Jeanne,

How come you only had level C5/6 done when C4/5 is also causing cord compression? Just curious.

Hugz

Old 09-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Hugo
    The level C5-6 was the worst with severe cord compression. Level C4-5 had only slight compression on my cord. Both of my neuro surgeons, as both partners took the time to go over my mri films with me, suggested that I only have the worst level fused at this time. They also explained to me that if I had a three level cervical fusion, movement would be restricted to a certain point. Their professional opinions did worry me at first, as we all know that after a fusion, their is more pressure on the level above and below the fused level. Since I already have injury to those levels, prior to my surgery, you can understand why I would worry. After thinking this over, I then realized that I would much rather have pressure on my already injured levels then put pressure on levels that are not injured if I were to have the three level fusion. My neuro surgeon has performed cervical fusions for the last 20 years and is known to be one of the best in my area. All I can do at this point is hope that I can prolong more cervical surgery as long as possible. And I already have less pain in my neck, no pain in arms and shoulders. This is enough to make me happy for now.

Have a great day.
    Jeanne

Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
    vruiz
    (male)

vruiz HB User

I suffered herniated discs on C4,C5,C6,C7, and L5 due to being rear ended in a car accident on 8/23/03. I suffered also carpal tunnel syndrome. I will be receiving ACDF C6/C7 w/ bone graft from my hip. I am not afraid of the surgery but the anticipation of the surgery I feel is the worst part. What types of pain medications do they offer you? I do not want Oxycontin or Vicadin. That is too addictive. What else can anyone tell me I should know abou this type of surgery? This is my first major surgery. Thanks, Vic

Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
    doozberger
    (female)

doozberger HB User

Would like input on what I have just learned. Have had tingling and numbness to the left of my neck for about 4 months. Went to primary care a couple of weeks ago who did X-rays, said they looked awful, sent me for MRI which I had today. They called the doc's office immediately, said to tell me that I had a ruptured disc that is compressing the spinal cord and that I should not drive nor ride in the car, should see NS ASAP. We are supposed to be flying to England next week! Does this info I received sound reasonable? I'm not in that much pain, don't understand how it could be so bad. I had cervical laminectomies in 1972 and in 1977, hadn't had any problems until recently. Can anyone give me input on this? Obviously I'm seeing the doctor Monday.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Vruiz
    Prior to my surgery, I was taking pain medication because of many different reasons, but mostly my back pain. I have chronic back pain along with polyneuropathy and fibromyalgia, not to mention the neck pain.

Since my cervical surgery, my pain has diminished in my neck and I no longer have any pain in my shoulders or arms. Also my hands haven't gone numb, and this did happen every day and night prior to surgery

Unfortunately I sill have my back and leg pain, and my neck pain in still about a 5 on the pain scale. Prior to surgery I was taking MS Contin 30 mg, 3x a day. I am still taking this medication. When I was in the hospital they had me on the pain pump with a morphine drip. I was only on that for the first day as I developed pneumonia, and had to come off the pump. I was then given morphine & percoset in pill form. This did control my pain and kept me somewhat comfortable. When I was released from the hospital I was told to continue my MS Contin at home as I did prior to surgery. At that time I really believed that since my body was already adjusted to taking this med prior to surgery, that it would not hep my increase in pain. But I was wrong, and it did keep my pain at level 5, which I certainly can deal with.

As for addiction, many people have different views on this. For me, I believe that if you are taking pain medication for pain only, You are NOT addicted. I pray for the day, that my back pain will diminish and I can't start to decrease my dosage. I really would prefer not to take pain medication, but at the present time I do not have much of a choice. Well, actually we all have a choice, but I prefer to do what I can to ease my pain rather than suffer.

I do wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and pray that your recovery goes well.
    Jeanne

Old 10-01-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Doozberger
    My cervical injury was caused by diving in my pool and slamming my head at the bottom. At that time I was told that I was very lucky as I could have been paralyzed. This injury happened over 10 years ago. At that time I did not have any health insurance. I did go to my local ER, and only had x-rays taken. They did tall me that my doctor needed to order an MRI immediately, as the ER wouldn't do it without insurance. I couldn't afford the testing, and suffered for many years. I occasional would go to the ER when I couldn't handle the pain or hold my head up. I was giving injection's for pain, and script's for pain medication and muscle relaxants.

Three years ago I finally got health insurance and my primary doctor immediately sent me to a neuro surgeon. My first cervical films did show compression on my spinal cord at two levels, and at that time said that I had three herniated disc's. But I also had a lumbar MRI and that showed injury's also, and I did suffer with back pain since age 16 and I am now 41. My neuro surgeon sent me for physical therapy, epidural injections in both lumbar and cervical. None of the consecutive treatment helped me, in fact made matters much worse.

I was then given the option for Fusion on both lumbar & cervical. I had to make the decision on which to have first. I chose my lumbar as it was much worse and I had the pain for a longer period of time. Unfortunately, the lumber surgery left me in more pain. That surgery was over two years ago.

It did take me a great deal to time to agree to have my cervical fusion because of the outcome of my lumbar surgery. I also have a new neuro surgeon and he did my cervical fusion. So far I am very happy that I agreed to have this cervical fusion. And from my own experience I can say that the cervical fusion is nothing compared to the lumber fusion. This recovery is manageable with a lot less pain.

As for your question about the ruptured disc and cord compression, it all depends on how much compression you have on your cord from the disc. I still have cord compression at level C4-5, but it is only slight compression. Another factor is, what level is your cord compression? I am sure they will tell you at your appointment on Monday, if they haven't already. Different levels cause various symptoms, some worse than others.

Please keep us posted on your injury and let us know what information you find out at your appointment. I pray that your compression isn't severe.
    Jeanne

Old 10-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

Hi Doozberger,

Sorry to hear about your recurrent problem. If you have been living with this for the past four months, things are not significantly worse and you have no problems walking I wouldn't rush to change plans until you've spoken to the ns. Your mri may be read to sound worse than it is because the anatomy is affected by your previous surgery. If your problem is just a herniated disc alone, it many get better over time without intervention. Ten years ago my husband was told the same - he had a disc plus severe spondylolithiasis, his xray looked (and still looks) horrible. He ignored advice to have immediate surgery, took a short course of steroids and PT and is still active and doing extensive and vigourous hiking!

Hope your ns gives you good news on Monday. Let us know.
    W

Old 10-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
    doozberger
    (female)

doozberger HB User

Thanks to all who responded to my post. My husband & I have both been so upset and I must admit, I'm more upset about the possibility of missing our trip that we've saved and planned for. I have to believe that there's a possibility this is not as serious as they've made it sound. I'm not in that much pain--not as much as when I had the surgeries in the past. Obviously I wouldn't want to do anything to risk paralysis but as I said, I've been driving, etc. for the last 4 months before I even went to the doctor about the tingling and numbness. Just will wait and see. Will keep you posted.
    Doozberger

Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 AM   #13
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
    I had an appointment with my neuro surgeon this past Wednesday. He reviewed my x-ray films and stated that everything looks good. He also gave me a list of exercises to start at home. He also said that I don't have to wear my soft collar all the time, and told me that when I get more range of motion in my neck that I can start to drive again. But I must still wear my collar when sleeping. I had also asked him if he thinks that I should wear a bone growth stimulator as I did wear one when I had my lumbar fusion. He stated that at the level that I had my fusion that he usually has wonderful results with his patients, and doesn't believe that I need the stimulator. My brother in law had a three level cervical fusion over a year ago and had worn a B/G Stimulator. He is lending me his, as I still want to wear one to make sure I get the best results of my fusion. Although I have much back pain, I do have a solid fusion, at least that is what I am told by my previous neuro surgeon.

At this time I hardly have any neck pain. The only time that my neck starts to hurt, is if I sit up for too long. Then I just lie down for a little while and the pain stops. I still have the pressure and slight pain in my throat. Most of the swelling has gone down at my incision area. It still feels a little bit lumpy, but was told this is normal. I just thought that I would update everyone, about my progress. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Jeanne

Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
    vruiz
    (male)

vruiz HB User

Thank you for your response

Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #15
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Vruiz
    Your welcome. Have you had or scheduled your surgery yet? Please keep us posted.
    Jeanne

Closed Thread