It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post Op Lamindectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Post Op Laminectomy

Hi -- I'm two weeks post op on a posterior laminectomy C4-C7. There is a lot more postings on this board about discotomy and fusion than for laminectomy but for me this was a logical choice of procedure.

I'm basically feeling ok, a little (very little) numbness in my right hand and right foot and my gait (the original problem which lead to the diagnosis) is at least 60% improved.

I've taken no pain meds for a week now. I walked a mile today, adding more each day to get to this point. I feel like there is a clamp on my back where the incision is and sometimes I feel like my back is "twisted" -- I have some shoulder pain when I sit at the computer for too long (I know not good for me, but I'm a computer consultant by profession). I tried to drive yesterday, but I got that "twisted" feeling and didn't do it - I have a volunteer commitment next Sat, so I hope I can by then.

Reading some old posts on this board, I think my recovery is on-track - I don't see the doctor until Wednesday (but he's pretty lay-back - do what you are comfortable with). I want to ask for a referal to PT just to make sure I'm doing things right.

Any feedback about recovery experiences would be appreciated. In particular I did see references that the symptoms should continue to improve as the cord adjusts, but I'm looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Last edited by sunshine221; 09-18-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Re: Post Op Lamindectomy

Hi,
    I had a posterior laminectomy foraminotomy c6-7 In June 2003 and my advice to you is SLOW down. You are doing to much to soon. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks as I didnt have a good range of motion and I am sure you dont either. Limit you PC work and if it is something you cannot avoid, get up every 15 mintues and walk or just get out of that position. PT normally starts after 8 weeks post op but each Dr. is different in there refferals. Also, do not let the PT massage anywhere close to the incision. I had 1 try that and almost hit the ceiling. Nevermind the pain, but they can do more damage. My surgery was not successful and I developed a staph infection was re-admitted into the hosp. on 7/4/2003 for 1 week of hell. That clamp feeling is where all your muscles were cut and that is why you feel twisted. That will take a while to heal. 2 years later and I still have that feeling worse than before. I do know of people that have had this surgery with good results so dont get upset. I am just 1 of the failures. From experience I would just limit yourself. When you start feeling your neck hurt, that is your body telling you to stop doing what you are doing. I cant believe you are not taking any pain meds. That is terrific!!!!!!! I wish you a speedy recovery and if I can be of any help feel free to post.

Lori

Last edited by moderator2; 09-20-2005 at 06:37 AM.

Closed Thread