It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Having ACDF on C5,C6,C7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
    maw maw
    (female)

maw maw HB User
    Question Having ACDF on C5,C6,C7

I am having a ACDF on C5,C6,C7 on Sept 29. Doctor told me that i would have 6 screws and metal plate. they told me to take the pain meds even if i thought i did not need them. Said i would be in a collar. I was told i would be out of work for a couple of weeks. But i can't drive for 6 weeks. Then how do they expect me to get to work and that i could work while wearing the collar. I am wondering what kind of pain i will be having. What is the recovery time for this

Last edited by maw maw; 09-20-2005 at 06:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Having ACDF on C5,C6,C7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maw maw
    I am having a ACDF on C5,C6,C7 on Sept 29. Doctor told me that i would have 6 screws and metal plate. they told me to take the pain meds even if i thought i did not need them. Said i would be in a collar. I was told i would be out of work for a couple of weeks. But i can't drive for 6 weeks. Then how do they expect me to get to work and that i could work while wearing the collar. I am wondering what kind of pain i will be having. What is the recovery time for this
    Hi Maw Maw,

I had ACDF on C5-6 and C6-7 last June. I was out of work for 8 weeks and in the collar for 4 months.

The total time for fusion to complete is about a year. From 6 months on it is just weight lifting restriction (I was on 25lbs at 6 months). You will feel better in about 2-3 weeks, but about 6 weeks is when you feel about normal.

The first week or two is a little rough, as you will have a sore throat and not be able to eat anything but soft food and liquids. There is generally some swelling from the surgery.

It is tough to sleep and do normal stuff, because your in the collar 24/7. You will get used to it after a while, but it is difficult. I hated the collar. The first few days I wanted to rip it off...bad!

I was in such pain from the problems, that I felt much better after the surgery.

Today I feel great! I am glad I had the surgery.

Dennis

Old 09-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maw maw
    Yo Maw maw

I'm two weeks outa the operation this time around. I only had a single fusion (C6/7). I have plate and 4 screws. Had bone graft taken from hip. Told that I can take collar off today. Still getting pain across shoulder blades etc if I move head too extravagantly. I drove a couple of days ago without too many problems tho wouldn't drive too far. Have had very little problem with swallowing and voice. I'm not up too working yet... still feeling whoosy and weak. Had sex in week one but had to be the one under... all went well but hip a bit sore. Previous op was for fusion of C4/5/6... that seemed to take longer to recover tho there was far more cord damage. Been told to take pain relief so that I move more and get muscles readjusted etc. Walking slow from hip being chainsawed.

Greetings from DownUnder! Can hear those crocs in the back creek carrying on so will have to go and deal with them soon. Might wait a few more days as they are about 14foot long and I might find them a bit hard to throw over me shoulder yet. They sound as tho they are getting closer. Had one on the back verandah not so long ago so hope my recovery doesn't take too long otherwise I might have to shoot the cheeky buggers.

Cheers Hugo

Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
    Cindee 2
    (female)

Cindee 2 HB User

I had ACDF 5-6-7 on July 12th. Wore a collar for 2 weeks when up and about or riding in car. I was driving a little at 2 weeks. Slept in reciner for 3 weeks and at that time started feeling better,then even more improvement at 7 weeks. On my 8th week was a little achy for a few days. Yesterday I washed my car by hand,waxed it and vacummed.(Had someone carry the vac for me) I hadn't done this for a long time....much better.

I never slept in collar. Post op 12weeks on October 5.

GOOD LUCK

Cindee

Last edited by Cindee 2; 09-20-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: addition

Old 09-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Hi Maw Maw,

I had surgery with plate, screws and donor bone this day last year.

I was driving after five weeks, but very cautiously, and back to work after 6 weeks. Don't rush going back to work...take every day your employer gives you.

I wore a soft collar for 3 weeks. It's not bad...in fact I found it comforting.

Slept upright on couch surrounded by pillows.

Pain. I had very little. After one prescription painkiller, I switched to ibuprofen. The first week after surgery your throat will be sore. Buy soup and canned pasta. Popcorn and pretzels are out for awhile.

Be good to yourself after. This is spinal surgery. Don't push yourself; let your body recover. The anesthesia will leave you stupid for a couple days after surgery, but that's ok. Don't rush going back to work. Don't believe anybody who says you'll be back to work in a week or two.

The worst part about the operation was the anticipation beforehand. I'd never had major surgery before and was terrified. But then I woke up in recovery room after surgery and thought, that's it? The second worst part was daytime TV.

After a week in your chair you'll be cursing the TV remote.

You'll do better than you think...this is the worst time, the pre-op anticipation. It's awful, and I feel for you. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Hi

I concur with last message. Anticipation is by far the worse part. Frustration in recovery is annoying as keep having to tell myself to slow down. Went shopping yesterday (drove (60K's) and wandered around supermarket etc). Surgery on 7th Sept. Refuse to watch T.V. Crocodile took one of my heifers yesterday so feeling a bit guilty about that, but not yet ready to deal with them. Had snake in house but my dog got rid of that. Getting used to the quiet life. Got to go to Dentist soon.... terrified of that... much rather have spinal surgery. Took my stitches out on tuesday. Started laughing which made it a tad difficult. Glad I chopped a lot of firewood as a bit chilly dowwn under at moment.

Love Hugz.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
    maw maw
    (female)

maw maw HB User

Thanks for the replies. They said the bone graph site would be more painful than the surgery. The waiting is starting to get to me! I feel the waiting is starting to get to hubby now.Been out of work since the end of july and you guys are right nothing on daytime t.v. Doctor told hubby that i would be up and cooking dinner in a couple of days after surgery. YEAH RIGHT!
    thanks
    maw maw

Old 09-23-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
    dmaloy
    (female)

dmaloy HB User

Hi. I'm new here also just found this site tonight. I'm thinking of having the surgery as I have put it off for a year and I really hurt. Hubby is getting tired of my pain also, I've been out of work because of this for a year also so that hurts. I'm very afraid of the surgery. I hope all goes well for you. I will be waiting to see how you do. I go monday to find out when mine will be. Pain doctor wants to do a cervical stariod shot on Wensday but I don't know will ask surgen what he thinks as before he told me no they don't work, Take care and good luck

Old 09-23-2005, 03:21 AM   #9
    rob_zzz
    (male)

rob_zzz HB User

hugo - where abouts are you from?

Old 09-23-2005, 03:27 AM   #10
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Australia. Whoa... you not going to me banned for being off topic <grin>

Hugz

Old 09-23-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I just wanted to mention that under no circumstances should you take any form of NSAID like ibu or aleeve or any Rx strentgh motrin at least not for the first few months post fusion surgery,as it does inhibit the bones from fusing.i was not told this unfortunetly until after i had been taking it off and on after my first surgery and the damn fusion failed.some docs do not always tell you everything you know,or at when you actually would need the info anyway.marcia

Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #12
    maw maw
    (female)

maw maw HB User

Since I have had this problem for over a year and I had the shots in my shoulder at first (was told it was rotar cuff stuff) and did not help. Even did pt for the shoulder. That went on for a couple of months. Started with everything hurting 7/2004. It finally eased up some around jan 2005. Quit doing pt in nov 2004 since it was not helping. Then it came back out of the blue july 2005. I have been out of work since the end of july 2005. Doctor gave me shot and it did not work. Hope if you get it it will work. My hubby was very tired of it also. Said if they need to do surgery do it now cause he was tired of seeing me in pain all the time. I was given 3 different pain meds in less than 30 days. Still have them. Can sit,sleep or ride in the car for very long. This time next week i will be waiting to come home from the hospital. Can not wait to get it over with. Seems like i can't remember when i have not been in pain with this. The closer surgery gets the more it plays on my mind. So now it is just the wait and see game.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:25 AM   #13
    maw maw
    (female)

maw maw HB User

marica,
    Thanks for that info. I hope you are doing better at this time. I heard/read smoking does not help either. I do smoke and have cut back alot. I am really trying to quit but it is hard. I have even brought the patches to start wearing. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    thanks
    maw maw

Last edited by maw maw; 09-23-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
    Taimse
    Veteran
    (female)

Taimse HB User
    trying to locate feelbad( Marcia)

Sorry about post to this list,
    Marcia, I just wanted to tell you I finally located Dr. F------ at Lake Elmo
    Am seeking another opinion from him as things look like they might be a coverup where I went this past week for a second opinion. When a friend who had same surgery a month before you did and her primary doc says "under the table' this problem is from the surgery, it makes you wonder when second opinon doc says nerve problem is old and not from recent surgery, even when symptoms are totally different. Medical centers are affiliates. Dr. F would be outside that system. Jeanne M

Old 09-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
    Taimse
    Veteran
    (female)

Taimse HB User
    trying to locate feelbad( Marcia)

Sorry about post to this list,
    Marcia, I just wanted to tell you I finally located Dr. F------ at Lake Elmo
    Am seeking another opinion from him as things look like they might be a coverup where I went this past week for a second opinion. When a friend who had same surgery a month before you did and her primary doc says "under the table' this problem is from the surgery, it makes you wonder when second opinon doc says nerve problem is old and not from recent surgery, even when symptoms are totally different. Medical centers are affiliates. Dr. F would be outside that system.
    I have a question...can I request just him, or would I get someone else from the group he is in? Jeanne M

Closed Thread