It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Percutaneous Laser Disc Decompression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User
    Percutaneous Laser Disc Decompression

Has anyone had this? I am considering this or a similar radiofreqency proceedure. It's less invasive than fusion and I've been under the knife before so I know what ot expect. I've read good things about it. The goal for me is relieving the pressure on my nerves. If you have had this what did the doctor tell you happens to the disc material afterwards? From what I can gather it just shrinks. To me this is like forcing degeneration of the disc, but if it stops the pain it might be the trick.

The other option is endoscopic surgery to cut off the offending portion of the hernia. I think I like the idea of shrinking it better. I will consult with my doctor on the 5th of next month about this so I am interested in learning as much as I can. Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User
    Re: Percutaneous Laser Disc Decompression

that was the most painful procedure i have had. percutaneous discectomy on my l4-l5. i was in super severe pain for three weeks after my surgery. the muscle spasms went all the way up my back. no sleep for three weeks. i thought it was a waste of surgery. i assume you have a contained bulging disc.

if you do have this procedure, make sure they give you pain meds other than vicodin. you need oxycontin or mscontin. it was that bad.

i have had an artificial disc replacement and they cut me in my belly with about a six inch cut. that was nothing compared to the percutaneous surgery and the percutaneious DID NOT WORK.

good luck

Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Thank you - I am also going to ask him about nucleoplasty. I am still confused as to what happens to the disc material afterwards. It seems like if you cut it off with a Laser there is just a hole there that would have to be cauterized (sealed) and that would hurt like the IDET to heal. With the nucleoplasty they make small channels in the disc itself. But what keeps the disc material from oozing back out. It all makes sense on paper, but not so much in reality when you think about what they are doing.
    Thank you for the reply, I will have more questions for my doctor tommorrow.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

Okayyyyyy...now I am scared. I think this was offered to me on my l5-s1 disc herniation. I had acdf c5 -6 with plate and bone and yet my low back microdiscectomy was way more painful.. I guess cutting into the muscles of the back. My new pain dr. said the removal of herniated disc in my low back was an option and the same for the bulge at c6 7 in my neck but the low back was less dangerous...however he said it takes three attempts over three months with a 80- 90 percent success but more pain is elicited during this procedure. The remove the pieces by an endoscopic procedure...would that be then with a laser for removal of scar tissue that has wound around my injury. That is what it sounds like you are referring to. I was doing well on my second bout of pain needles but I had severe leg spams this second needle and my rectum was numb for about 48 hours...not a pleasant feeling. It was extremely painful getting the needle this time compared to the first...now I am wondering as I am having more trouble trying to run my store ie. lifting and maintaining it and my life if I will have to get this resolved. Perhaps you could let me know what they did exactly and why you feel it didn't work and what the pain scale was. I am very very brave but after 5 years of no life have finally gotten a handle on regaining my life...plus my hubby has been diagnosed with lupus which may be causing him stomach troubles so DOWN TIME right now is at an all time low for me. I just need to know how to mediate the next few months and what options seem realistic and time affordable. Thanks Nero

Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

percutaneous, idet, nucleoplasty are all gargage. they have caused more damage than help. even if they do work for a short period of time, adr or fusion is probably going to happen. i had a artificial disc replacement and i'm really glad i had it.

Closed Thread