It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Armpit sensation, side of chest pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Armpit sensation, side of chest pain

I am seeking a little info on armpit and side of chest pain. I had a 2 level acdf 4-6, 12/04. Prior to surgery I had unbearable radicular pain, you can read my old posts by searching my id. I used to take 8 percs a day, 2400mg neurontin and ibuprofen round the clock. This is my 9th month post op and I had been steadily getting terrific, enjoying health and no pain meds for months. About two weeks ago I noticed a decline and I am bummed. It started with my neck aching more each day, then running into my arm, and now under my armpit and my side and chest . Its not unbearable, like before surgery, but i am depressed to see this onset of symptoms. ALso each week it is getting more obvious. I don't go back until November, its not bad enough where I would make it emergency to the office.

If you had armpit or side of chest pain, what level was it for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User
    Re: Armpit sensation, side of chest pain

Oh dear, not sure I want write this post but armpit pain was a sympton of my C6/7 protusion. If I moved my head to the right it took the pressure off and pain went away.

Cheers Hugo

Fusion C456 12/03
    Fusion C67 9/05

But have to say I was very pleased that it was C67 and not C34 which would restrict a lot more movement and be a little more tricky to do.

Last edited by hugo eve; 09-23-2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Additional info

Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i really think that at the very least you should probably get an MRI done on that area to see if anything obvious pops up.You had a big fusion was there any hardware placement/do you know for sure that every level actually fused?if something did not take, you could be having the symptoms that you are describing.Is the pain constant,or get worse upon certain movements?Just need some info from you.marcia

Old 09-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi, thanks for your answers. I did have hardware with the acdf, i also did everything exactly right, and was in the collar for about 8 weeks solid then on and off till 12. Last xray i was fusing well on the top not as well on the bottom,but it was working on it. The pain is constant, part of it is like a burning, some stabs and i have noticed a few little jolts around my body. I called them yesterday and they put me on a cancellation list if someone cancels I will move my appointment up.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

can you describe the type of pain and or sensations you are currently having associated with this.please be specific as possible,K?Also, is it constant or does it come and go?does anything you do or dont do seem to make it worse or better?Marcia

Old 09-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Sitting still looking straight ahead:
    Constant deep burning ache in the top edge of the back of my shoulder that runs down the outside of my arm, into my elbow and forearm, burning irritation in my armpit. burning ache from my armpit down my side to about a fist above my belly button. Activity makes it more like stabbing pains that run from the shoulder through the arm.

Turning my head left and right and upward do not make it worse or improve it. Moving my head to look down causes it to hurt more.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Armpit sensation, side of chest pain One more symptom

I didn't mention I also noticed I have a slight burn at the bottom of my skull, i think this is the occipital on the same side.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have you ever had or recently had another MRI or one that covered the upper T spine?is the pain becomming worse and worse over time or is it just kinda "there" but rather stable?marcia

Old 09-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi marcia,
    over the past couple weeks the pain/feelings grew, now they seem to have stabilized. I am taking it more easy the past week. I got my appointment moved up to Tuesday, so I will see what the pictures and dr. say. I haven't had a recent MRI since surgery, I am sure he will take an xray as soon as i get there and decide what to do next. He is really good surgeon.

I had felt so good, I feel like something must be going on. Cindy

Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

This is why I think an MRI would really be the way to go here since you were feeling good,and then out of nowhere,you are feeling like this.This really could indicate some sort of 'change or shifting" of the bone or even a disc if you were not actually fused,you know what i mean?an MRI would most likely find the culprit,even a CT would be better than nothing and could show something up with the more solid structures.it just won't pick up on more soft tissue problems.good luck,Marcia

Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
    Cindee 2
    (female)

Cindee 2 HB User

Just wanted to wish you luck with your Dr. visit. Keep us posted. Hope all is well.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: right side a mess

over the past month i got progessively worse. by today i am now level 8 pain, not functioning well. not using right arm and hand because of pain. sleeping in recliner. started back neurontin. vicadin and ibuprofen round the clock. so bad today i had to take percosette.

saw surgeon tues, xray looks perfect of my 2 level acdf. mri gretting scheduled.

will keep u posted marcia when i know more

Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Ridging?

Anyone here have ridging? I had my MRI yesterday, haven't seen the doc yet, but they told me it looks like i have ridging at C6-7 at the level below my C4-6 ACDF. I have a copy of the films and I can see it very clearly myself on my already narrowed (spinal stenosis) canal, I just didn't know what it was. Looks like it is right up against the cord.

Still in pain, more managed on of course 12 vicadin, 9 ibuprofen, and 4 (600mg) of neurontin a day. and work at home, live in a recliner. go back next week.

they fixed my vicadin so I don't have to take so many today. any advice is appreciated. cindy

Old 10-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #14
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well,at the very least,it shows "something' that may be the cause of what you are currently feeling as far as pain and symptoms.it would correlate with the way your pain is running with regard to nerves.You mentioned 'spinal stenosis"?is this actually "in" the cord walls itself?exactly where is the actual spinal stenosis at with regard to level of?and does this actually show cord compression at any point?Keep me posted,at least you ARE making some progress towards some sort of possible answers here,and THAT IS a really big thing.hang in there,marcia

Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: endplate ridging

1) they used the word endplate ridging
    - cord isn't compressed this time, looks like the ridging is right against cord with no margin between.
    2) I have central canal stenosis, in the c-spine,. congenital narrow and then i have osteophyte formation in the canal and right side formamins. C-4-6 had it and it looks like its at 6-7. thats all i know right now till they finish the report. see doc the 20th, my guess is i will have steroids and do a epidural. the epidural didn't help me my first go round i hope it does this time.
    i have been working home laying pretty flat from my recliner for two weeks, I am at least in a managed condition. I hurt the more I am upright.
    thanks , will give update again.

Closed Thread