It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bony Edema

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User
    Bony Edema

As far as I can tell this is "swelling", does anyone know of a better definition? This is on my MRI report and I know I have swelling I'm just not sure how the bone part plays into the equation. Doctors use all these technical terms to explain things that would be more understandable in laymans terms. So can anyone tell me a better more understandable definition of what this means? Is this fluid between the bones or are my bones swelled?

Has anyone else had this on their MRI? What did your doctor tell you? How is it treated? I can not get in to see my doctor for 2 more weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Bony Edema

I know that I had/have bone marrow edema which IS indeed actual fluid inside the head of my femur where it comes in to my R knee but that is what it states in the report."bone marrow edema".i actually tried to look up boney edema for you as I was rather curious about this too and really could not find anything on it either.I guess maybe if you actually called the place where you had the films done and ask them to ask the rad who just happens to be there at the time just what that particular phrase actually means.someone there just HAS to actually know the definition of it.please let me know what you find out as i too am rather curious.Sorry I couldn't really offer you any real help.marcia

Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

My MRI also says "there is a patch of abnormal signal. This has the appearance of bone edema". But it's in my foot. Will wait patiently for someone else to answer as I don't know what it means either....but just wanted to let you know you're not alone...

Old 10-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

does anyone know what bone edema means??? Please???

Old 10-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would really think that 'bone edema" IS indeed exactly what my MRI said that I had.fluid inside of the actual bone.I mean,what else COULD it mean,as there really aren't any other actual possibilities you know what i mean?Edema means fluid filled,and bone is where it is at.now you just need to figure out just WHY it is in there.sorry i couldn't help you with that.Mine was related to having RSD which can cause changes inside the bone.marcia

Closed Thread