It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C1-C2 Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
    jj7554
    (female)

jj7554 HB User
    Question C1-C2 Fusion-INFO

I Am 29 And B/C Of An Accident My Dr's Have Told Me That I Will Need To Have A C1-C2 Fusion.
    If Anyone On The Boards Has Had One Or Knows Anything About It,
    Please Let Me Know.
    Any Info Will Be Helpful!!

Last edited by jj7554; 09-26-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
    EktarEd
    (male)

EktarEd HB User
    Re: C1-C2 Fusion-INFO

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj7554
    I Am 29 And B/C Of An Accident My Dr's Have Told Me That I Will Need To Have A C1-C2 Fusion.
    If Anyone On The Boards Has Had One Or Knows Anything About It,
    Please Let Me Know.
    Any Info Will Be Helpful!!
    I am confused as to what B/C of an accident means? As to C1-2 fusion is concerned my Mother In Law had a C2 fracture and due to her advanced age and fairly stable condition of C-2 after six months fusion was not done.
    She lived with it for over two years before taking a spill in her apartment one evening and falling against a small chair. It was assumed that she snapped her head backwards and severed the spine at that point thus passing away.
    She was just a few days shy of 96 years old and lived a full life.
    Having a fusion of the Odontoid process will leave you with a rather imobile neck, but at least one that can be lived with.
    I myself have C-3 spinal cord compression which after decompression has left me with a lot fo pain in both arms hands and shoulders.
    Again I am amazed, and assume that you are not in the hospital. Spinal cord disruption as high as C1-2 usually does not produce quads, so go for it.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
    jj7554
    (female)

jj7554 HB User
    Re: C1-C2 Fusion-INFO

Ed,
    Thanks for responding, I am trying to get as much info as possible. 2 yrs ago I fell down a flight of stairs.. after conservative treatment with my Dr he has told me that C1-C2 are separating. He felt that surgery was the best option for me. My 2nd opinion from a Nero surgeon also agreed. I am not in the hospital but am on several medications. I am also doing dextrose injections but the Dr's have not seen any improvement. I am absolutely terrified of the surgery and the mobility that I will end up with.

Last edited by jj7554; 09-27-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
    EktarEd
    (male)

EktarEd HB User
    Re: C1-C2 Fusion

Hi,

You stated that your were doing dextrose injections. Per chance is this via a naturopath? I had this in my neck area C3-4 with little if any help.
    I had an ACDF at C3-4 a year ago and I also have Afib. I am of the opinion that I will be needing further surgery to corrrect spinal cord pressure at C4-5, but the jurry is still out on that one.
    I suffer from constant pain in both shoulders, arms and hands.
    I am sorry to hear of your fall, as that is how my problems all started. I also know how you must feel with weight lifting restrictions being imposed with a small one.
    At this point I would give anything to be rid of Afib and the pain form a crushed Spinal Cord.
    But I am also not wanting the problems you have, and I do hope for the best results for you and that you will be able to mother your child fully.

Best wishes,

Ed

Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
    EktarEd
    (male)

EktarEd HB User

Hi Again,

I just reread your post, and all the meds you ae taking will do nothing since you have a pure and simple mechanical problem that needs correcting.
    As to mobility after surgery, you will not have the head of an Owl, but then who does.
    As to the surgery it is a snap. I have the neck of a line backer, and as such there was a lot of swelling during and after surgery.
    Upon extubation and about ten minutes later I began having problems breathing. Ended up flat on my back for an over night in the ICU.
    What I am saying is that with everything I went through I ended up fine, and was only limited as to what activities I could do for a week or so. I mean counting out the heavy activities which I did not do for a month or more.

Go for the surgery, as the possible result of not having it are not nice.

Ed

Old 10-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
    jj7554
    (female)

jj7554 HB User

Thank you for all the info! I wish you the best as well!
    JJ

Closed Thread