It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Baclofen pump and alcohol...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
    TriniLover
    (female)

TriniLover HB User
    Baclofen pump and alcohol...

A friend of mine is having a test dose of baclofen on Wednesday, 10/12/05. She has spinal cord damage due to a fall back in the 1980's. She was paralyzed for 6 months immediately after the fall, slowly on her own began walking again in a stiff-legged fashion, then ended up 10 years later on a cane, then a walker and is now in a wheelchair. She had surgery last year for implantation of a titanium cage in her neck, as well as prior to that the same year, surgery to remove calcium deposits from her spine.

Her legs are very spastic and tight. She was "dismissed" from physical therapy after missing appts. She does no walking on her own, simply lies in bed all day and all night, and drinks "a few beers" in the evenings. Her neuro suggested a baclofen pump.

My question - what will happen if she drinks too many beers with the baclofen pump? Any info appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: Baclofen pump and alcohol...

I think it's important that she (or a close friend) talk to her doc and discuss this. The baclofen doesn't go directly into the blood stream as far as I know but she should still check. Also, she may have some real emotional problems (who wouldn't in her situation) and need some professional support to cope with all her problems. Sounds like you're looking out for her, hope you can help. "A few beers" can quickly add up and become a major problem or be a cry for help.

Good luck, she needs your support.
    W

Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Baclofen pump and alcohol...

I do believe her biggest issue right now is that she is suffering from some major depression that really needs attention asap.anytime someone suffers thru what she is dealing with,major depression is not at all uncommon.i am dealing with the same since the devistation of my spinal cord injuries have become more and more apparent.you really need to discuss this with her before doing anything else.Her docs really do need to be made aware of her situation.it sounds like she has pretty much given up and lost the motivation she really needs to try and get back what she can.Being supportive and totally honest with her and voicing your deep concerns for her well being will go a long way in helping her thru this time.it just plain sucks to have to live like that,trust me.as far as your answer about the baclofen?this really can only be answered by a doc or pharmacist to get the true answer,i think.There is much more responsibility involved when having a pump and i really don't know if she can manage it all.if possible,ask her if you can go along with her to some of her appts.but really, having an in depth chat with her about your concerns on her drinking and that you think she may be suffering from at least some level of depression,really needs to be done as soon as possible,or she WILL continue to deteriorate both physically and emotionally.been there,done that.she really needs a freind like you to help her thru all of this crap.please keep me posted on her,K?Good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread