It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 level ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User
    2 level ACDF

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how much neck mobility person looses after 2 level ACDF.

Thanks.

A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
    dootag
    (male)

dootag HB User
    Re: 2 level ACDF

Hi,

Before anyone can evaluate what your loss of range of motion would be they will need to know at what levels you are concerned. For example I'm fused at C6/7 and C5/6. The left right ROM is 80% plus. The forward backward ROM is unlimited forward and about 60% backward.

dootag

Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Aside from depending on the levels - which one Neurosurgeon told me was about a 3% loss of motion for each level on average and 85% of motion takes place where the skull meets the spine, there is loss of movement forward and back (flexion and extension). I am also told there can be discomfort with the plating against the throat due to scar tissue. I was told there are "anti scarring gels" - search on here for Quietcooks posts - very good. Be sure if you get fusion to get plating the fusion rates are 10 to 20% higher and insist on dynamic plating as it balances the load over the fused area. And of course the Center discs C4/5 c5/6 would cause less motion than higher up or lower down.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I had a posterior decompression done in 2002 for C6/7. I then got injured again and will soon have a C4/5 fusion and possible C6/7. I had to go through a flexation test as this is workman's comp and here are my results: Flexation norm 60% mine 42%, extension norm is 75 degrees I am 63%, laterial flexasion left norm 45 degrees mine 51%(Left), same (right) mine 49%, rotaion left norm 80 deg mine 60%, rotation right norm 80 deg and mine 48%. I can noticably tell the difference in rotation the most like driving and any turnin my head. I have to turn my shoulers as well to see all the way to the side.

Since I have not had C4/5 done yet and it may improve with that I can only say that my results are not great. The impairment rating doctor used ROM values whatever that means.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

I have never considered percentages ... but the only real time I notice any difference in ROM, is if I am trying to drink the last drop out of a can of soda (it's not going down!!), or if I am backing out of a parking space (I just have to turn at my waist more). I believe the disks I have had surgery on are 5/6 6/7, I do have a plate.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Hi A,

I had ACDF Sept 2004. Your mobility will be limited at first, that's why you don't want to drive a car for awhile, unless you do nothing but go in a straight line. Looking left and right will be a challenge at first, but you will limber up. A year after my operation, I have about 95% mobility back. It happened gradually. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

ACDF 2004 C5-6 and C6-7...don't know the actual numbers, but I would suspect about a 15-20% reduction. I only notice when backing car or trailer. I just turn my upper body to compensate...it's not a big deal.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Thanks for answering.

It is kind of a big deal for my husband because he is an ambulette driver. That's why this is a great concern for him.

Thanks,

A.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

ADSUFTIN wrote: "Thanks for answering. It is kind of a big deal for my husband because he is an ambulette driver. That's why this is a great concern for him."

I've had three cervical fusions and have no problem driving including looking outa the back window. Took a few weeks tho.

Hugz.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

I'm fused from C4-7 and after physical therapy can turn my head almost normally, certainly don't have any problems driving. However it may take weeks and sometimes months to regain almost normal movement. In my case movement was improved post op because I had so much spasm it was restricting neck movement.

Two things I can't do - hold a phone to my ear without hands and tuck my chin to my chest - not a big loss and certainly not a problem on a day to day level.
    W

Closed Thread