It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4 Level Cervical Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
    maxey
    (female)

maxey HB User
    4 Level Cervical Fusion

Has anyone been there, done that?
    I had my second surgery in April. I am still in soooooo much pain.

I have the flu coming on right now and the coughing has made my neck feel like I just had surgery.

I still can't get comfy at night and dragging all day.
    I really DON'T like doctors right now, my surgeon, he say," well you have to expect that, you have 4 levels fused", oh, I forgot, since I had surgery I have migranes 5 out of 7 days.
    the pain is worse than before the surgery (s).
    I was told I woke up in the middle of surgery and there was a struggle, I have a hole through my lip and my arm was bruised and scraped up.

His whole additude has changed, I guess he cashed his check.

This is a W/C case too and THEY have dragged this thing out for nearly 2 1/2 years!

I am still hoping this is going to get a little better, it has been 6 months now.
    Anyone have C4,5,6,7 fused together?

Any good news?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User
    Re: 4 Level Cervical Fusion

Hi Maxey

I had the same over two ops. Hate to say but after 9 weeks I'm as good as normal but mine wasn't trauma so probably adapted prior to surgery. Hang in there. Hot spa helped me.

Hugz

Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Did you ever have migranes before the surgery or did these just start post op?You actually woke up during your surgery?if i were you,i would get my hands on the op notes that your surgeon made after the surgery and also the anesthesiologists notes(he has to make them too)and read through them to see what they actually wrote about that 'waking up" incident.If this actually occured,it would be negligence against the anesth.have you spoken with a lawyer about this?who knows just what could have happened during your surgery if you had some sort of 'struggle" with whoever it was,while your c spine was wide open and in a very vulnerable position?
    realistically,you really SHOULD be doing much better in your recovery than you are at this point.normally after about the first six weeks,the initial post op pain should be pretty much gone and you should be not feeling this badly,really.You really DO need to find out just exactly what happened.you are NOT ever supposed to wake up during any sort of surgery.It is the job of the anesthesiologist to make sure you are given the right meds in the right amounts.i am normally not a sue happy type of person but in this case,the man screwed up and they actually told you about it,you owe it to yourself and your health to find out just what occured during your sugery and any possible damage that occured to your spine.You really do need to consult a lawyer to really find out just what your rights are.Most lawyers do not charge you a cent for just a consult with them.I do think it would be worht the time and effort to persue.i hope things get better for you soon.Please keep me posted on how things are going.Marcia

Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
    Jonny In Sac
    (male)

Jonny In Sac HB User
    Unhappy Should I do a four level fusion???

Hello all,

I have been told by a surgeon that I should get a four level cervical fusion (C4-C8 I think). The primary reason for surgery is they are concerned with atrophy in my left hand. I have about 65% of normal strength and a significant loss of muscle mass in my left hand. The strange thing is the pain I experienced when this came on is no longer there and at this point I should be getting better. They have no way of knowing if I am losing more strength either. I worked hard at physical therapy over two months and it got me out of the pain stage. I do continue to have numbness and tingling at the bottom part of my left hand and my neck muscles get extremely tired but that is it. It is pretty annoying.

I am 36 years old, have already had a disc removed at L5-S1 and am in farily good shape. I recovered from that surgery very quickly. Since I am so young I am thinking of doing the four level fusion as the condition will only get worse over time and I don't want to lose more strength.

I actually have time to take off from work and I want to start having children in 6 months.

Thoughts? Insight?

Here is the summary of my MRI results.

At C2-3, there is a mild right uncinate spur causing mild neural foraminal narrowing.

At C3-4, a left paracentral posterior bulge is identified likely representing an osteophyte. This causes mild impingement upon the
    anterior surface of the spinal cord. There is also bilateral uncinate spurring with mild narrowing of both foramina.

At C5-6, there is left uncinate spurring causing significant neural foraminal narrowing. Uncinate spur also mildly indents the left anterolateral aspect of the spinal cord.

At C6-7, there is bilateral uncinate spur formation causing moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, left greater than
    right. There is also impingement of the left anterolateral aspect of the spinal cord at this level.

At C7-T1, bilateral uncinate spurring is also identified causing mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:

MULTILEVEL DEGENERATIVE CHANGES MOST SIGNIFICANT AT C5-6 AND C6-7 AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

In your case,mostly because of the fact that the actual cord is being affected,I really would get this done.the cord impingement/compression will only get worse without surgery to remove what is actually accumulating and growing there.believe me,what you are experiencing right now,is nothing compared to what will occur once the actual cord becomes damaged.i am living with that right now and quite frankly,it just sucks!if the damage occurs to the tracts running through it,those will be permanent.My spinothalamic and spinocerebellar tracts are both significantly damaged,along with my C 7-8 and T 1 spinal nerves and last but not least,my sympathetic nervous system.let me know what you decide.if I were you,i really would get this over as soon as possible as once that actual damage takes place,you will be most likely living with THAT part for a very very long time.i was able to get back 'some" of my lost function to my leg and my hand but that was with acute rehab done immediately withintwo weeks of the damage.i have gotten all back that will most likely ever get.at least I can still walk and am thankful for that,really.good luck,marcia

Closed Thread