It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C6/C7 ADCF & Plating With Bone Stimulator Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
    Ed1944
    Inactive
    (male)

Ed1944 HB User
    C6/C7 ADCF & Plating With Bone Stimulator Surgery

Just a few comments on my C6/C7 ADCF & Plating surgery on 11/11. It went a lot better than I expected. The last time I noticed on a clock was 7:30am, I walked out of the hospital at 1:30pm. Sore throat and some discomfort in swallowing and soreness around the incesion. No neck collar, that supprised me. I have to go back on 11/21 to have the Bone Stimulator installed. Synthetic Bone Graft. Now five days post op just a slight incesion pain and swallowing liquids is a little hairy yet but getting better. My first night home I could not sleep, awake all night, the pain pills did not even make me sleepy. If fact I only took two of the perscribed pain pills, then just Tylenol for the last three days and nothing today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Re: C6/C7 ADCF & Plating With Bone Stimulator Surgery

Boy, in and out of the hospital in 4 hours -- that is amazing. I went in at 7:00 am and did not see my hospital room until 3:00 pm (8 hours later). My surgery alone was 3 hours long (from time of entering OR to entering recovery room). I then spent the night in the hospital with the intention of going home the next day (as my surgeon indicated was a possibility). However, he came in the next day and took one look at me and said - no you are here one more night - I guess getting sick just before he did his rounds did not help me. I also went home with the hard collar with directions it stayed on for 7 weeks till I saw him again.

Last edited by more; 11-20-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
    Ed1944
    Inactive
    (male)

Ed1944 HB User

Was your surgery just the one level? Or did you have more two or more levels plated? The surgeon who did my surgery would only do a single level as outpatient surgery, plus other than the problem he is dealing with you are in good physical condition. With the synthetic disk there is no surgery on the hip also. Honestly, I would have felt more sucure going out of the surgery center with a hard collar myself. No driving and no turning the head to the right or left which is not easy to do when there is not restriction on your head movement. Tomorrow is the Bone Stimulator. For some odd reason I do not know it seems that post surgery that I can breath deeper than before. I will have to ask the doctor that one tomorrow. As I did not thing C6/C7 has anything to do with breathing. Maybe the airway they put in did it????

Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
    more
    (female)

more HB User

Yes, mine was two level. I was also in pretty good physical help before the surgery - so that was not a reason for keeping me. The surgeon said he always keeps a patient at least 24 hours. I did have the bone from my hip also.

For the first night I was on a pain pump which I pushed the button whenever I needed it.

It has been three years since the surgery and I am now experiencing signs of another disc being gone - the pain down the left arm; tingling in the fingers.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
    Unbearable
    (female)

Unbearable HB User

In and out of hospital in 24 hours. Second fusion - this one was level C-7 - broken disc tearing into the cord. I am still having sig. neck pain because of nerve damage, also small on energy but gaining that back slowly. MAJOR back spasms still! Still on pain meds, and muscle relaxers.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
    icedad
    (male)

icedad HB User
    Question Re: C6/C7 ADCF & Plating With Bone Stimulator Surgery

I'm scheduled to have discs replaced at C5/C6 & C6/C7, then fuse the three vert's together. I'm not understanding your procedure - they removed the disc in one procedure/day, then are replacing it with an artificial disc on another day? Did they remove the entire disc? Will they fuse with a plate afterwrads?

Closed Thread