It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Klebsiella~Abscess on Spinal Cord

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
    vinmar
    (female)

vinmar HB User
    Klebsiella~Abscess on Spinal Cord

My father is very sick and has been hospitalized for 3 weeks, he has Klebsiella which has caused a abscess on his spinal cord. We don't know if there is nerve damage or not as far as being able to walk normal again. This is a very serious infection and the DRs. are treating it with very strong antibiotics, they have also gone in 2x now and drained it. Has anyone ever heard of this or know someone that this has happen to?? From what I have research and found this is not very common. My father has never been hospilized and has always been a very heathy man. Any info is appreciated. THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Klebsiella~Abscess on Spinal Cord

Wow,now thats really bizarre.do his docs have any sort of theory as to how someone would even be able to contract such a thing?i could see this possibly happening after a surgery to the actual cord,but did he just 'present"with this out of the blue one day??gosh,i really wish i could help you with this but I have never ever heard of this before.I certainly hope he can recover from this with no impairment.is this actually IN the cord itself or ON it?You said 'on' just want to make sure.what sort of neuro symptoms is he actually having or showing?where(at what exact level),along the spine is this actually located at?marcia

Old 11-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
    vinmar
    (female)

vinmar HB User
    Re: Klebsiella~Abscess on Spinal Cord

The abscess is on the spinal cord and it is in his bones which is called Osteomyelitis. And no he did not just develop this one day. He was sick and thought he was coming down with the flu, which by the way is one of the symptoms of this type of infection, kinda like or compared to E-coli and Menigitis (spelt wrong), same family. He had the chills and fever and flu like symptoms, then after about a week he fell getting out of the shower, we thought at that time he had a pulled muscle in his back. But after a couple of weeks he was not getting any better and basically could not walk. So when we took him into the emergency room, the Dr.s started alot of test as well as a MRI and that is when they saw the abscess. This is very serious and very painful. Prier to this my father was always a very healthy man. This type of infection can attack your body when your immune system is down, there is no way of telling how he got this. Especially since he had never been hospitalized prier to this.

Closed Thread